GTE Manual. A New Full Colour Reprint

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

2837GT

GTE Manual. A New Full Colour Reprint

Post by 2837GT »

I have long thought that the quality of the re-printed GTE manuals in circulation is very poor, and that owners of the Ferrari 250 models deserve better. Many are based on the flawed PDF available on the GTE website. Whilst this is fine for 'a working copy' our cars deserve better. As we all know, prices of originals have reached stratospheric levels that may fit the budgets of SWB owners but not the rest of us. I am lucky enough to have picked up an original Italian language version many years ago at a more reasonable, though still expensive, price.
I decided to use that manual to create a re-print.

My goals were as follows:
To replicate the colours used to define the chapters in the illustrations.
To use the same grade of paper as the original in terms of shine and of weight.
To ensure that text is clear and correct.
To use a cotton binding technique as per original.
To reproduce the 'fold out' format of the wiring diagram.
To have the books printed in the UK by a proper book printer.

The process was, in the end quite complex. Digital techniques were used to remove hand written annotations, creases and oily finger prints. The original font was matched and used to re-insert the chapter headings in full colour bars on the page tops. The colours could not be replicated using digital printing so 'old school' lithographic techniques were used with Pantone standard colours. To do this it was necessary to 'deconstruct' my original which is now with a professional book restorer being 'reconstructed'.

The idea was not to produce forgeries, the copies are printed on white paper (as opposed to vintage looking sepia tones) and are discreetly but clearly marked as 'Facsimile" on the outer rear cover.

I have had a series of 100 copies made. They are available from either Tom Shaughnessy or directly from me at $350 with a discount for GTE Newsletter subscribers or subscribers of this website. They can bought as is or can be paired with Tom's excellent replica leather pouches. I can be contacted on tea_and_gray@mac.com for orders or to answer any questions.

I hope that 250 owners will appreciate a manual fitting for the quality of their cars and that can be taken to events rather than left in the safe at home.
IMG_0254.jpeg
Attachments
IMG_0255.jpeg
IMG_0257.jpeg
IMG_0258.jpeg
IMG_0259.jpeg
IMG_0260.jpeg
2837GT

Re: GTE Manual. A New Full Colour Reprint

Post by 2837GT »

The pictures show the re-print next to the original.
Attachments
IMG_0253.jpeg
tyang

Post by tyang »

These look great! I have an original one with a pouch, but find it too valuable to leave in the glove box. Thanks for making the effort!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

I received my copy this week and it is terrific. The quality of the printing and binding is excellent. This is what will be in my glove compartment and the original manual will stay on my shelf except for important occasions. It is unfortunate that it has come to this, but with the price of originals skyrocketing it is great to have a quality substitute.
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
Michael Greenspan

Post by Michael Greenspan »

I just received my copy. It is a beautiful reproduction and I want to thank Graham for undertaking this addition to my Ferrari’s documentation and glove compartment.

Given what original anything to do with classic Ferraris costs I think some of you might find it amusing to learn that the previous owner of my car bought a GTE manual from the San Francisco dealer in 1967 for $2.50. I believe he used it a lot and it ultimately just fell apart. I have a xerox of one very grease stained page.

Again my thanks to Graham it is a job very well done.

Michael
330 America 4969
2837GT

Post by 2837GT »

Thanks guys for your kind feedback.
I very pleased with how the manuals have come out, it just felt like one of those jobs that needed somebody to do it properly. So far they have been selling well, but please keep spreading the word !
2837GT

Post by 2837GT »

Hi, The replica 250 GTE manual pouches are in.

They are pigskin and very nice quality.
They are retailing for GBP 600 plus postage.

Can be combined with the manuals.

enquiries to: tea_and_gray@mac.co.

I also have a nice 275/Daytona pouch from the same source (upper picture)
Attachments
IMG_0297 (1).jpeg
IMG_0296.jpeg
JL Van Marcke

Post by JL Van Marcke »

I just received my manual & pouch from Graham.

I confirm, they are great !

(sold some Bitcoins and used the proceeds... :lol: )
Jean-Louis Van Marcke (Belgium) - 250GTE Series II - SN 3135GT