TV Car Restorations and Makeovers

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Terry Gardiner

TV Car Restorations and Makeovers

Post by Terry Gardiner »

Tom, just saw your blog that asks opinions on TV shows describing restoration and modification of cars similar to, and sometimes the same as, ours.

I have enjoyed, and still do enjoy, watching a number of such programmes. I don’t pay much attention to the portrayed timescales or cost summaries but I’ve learnt one or two things and seen some equipment that I wish I had access to.

Yes, the shows are made as entertainments. Presumably to budgets that preclude even thinking about attempting to deliver concours work standards. However, if such programmes encourage maintenance and refurbishment rather than scrapping and buying new then I’m in favour. Especially if they also inspire the next generation to get involved in doing what we do.

And I have been entertained!
Terry Gardiner
250GTE - #4681
365BB - #18131
tyang

Re: TV Car Restorations and Makeovers

Post by tyang »

Hi Terry,

Thanks for your thoughts. I often wonder if the people at home realize the compromises in the work and short cuts that were taken to make these cars "TV ready!" Although I am lucky to have clients that understand the time and effort it takes to do things right, I sometimes have trouble looking past their work to see it as pure entertainment!

Enjoy!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

So which shows are worth watching? I gave up after watching cars being restored in "24 hours" and the cheap work they did to make it so. I always wondered what the buyers at auction thought after they bought a car and then saw the work done on Chasing Classic Cars to get it there. So far, Tom's videos are the best I have found. He shows us the real work, warts and all!
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

My wife says we would have no use for cable TV if it wasn't for my watching "those stupid car shows" over and over. She'll say things like "I know for a fact it's the 18th time you have watched that episode". Anyway, a few shows worth watching, one is "Bitching Rides", the bearded Mormon in Utah and "Iron Resurrection", the Texans. The old episodes of "American Hot Rod", which is Boyd Coddington's shop is a must see. The cars are the same old Mustangs, Camaros sand Corvettes, but the metal fabrication is nothing short of genius.

john
PF Coupe