Vapor Lock 330GT

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

330Jim

Re: Vapor Lock 330GT

Post by 330Jim »

Don't forget the fuel return line on the rear of the fuel manifold. It's purpose is to help reduce vapor lock by constantly circulating fuel through the fuel manifold. It is easy to check because line ties into the fuel filler. So all you have to do is open the fuel lid with either the engine running or the electric fuel pump on and you should see a stream of fuel being returned to the tank. If there is no fuel or very little most likely the line is clogged by the rear carb where the chrome fuel manifold ties into the rubber return line. The opening is the size of a pin..

Cheers Jim
DWR46

Post by DWR46 »

Jim: Only the later cars have the return lines. They start to appear in the 8000 number range.
330Jim

Post by 330Jim »

Ahh I didn't know when the cut over was. Didn't realize it was that late.

Cheers Jim
peterp

Post by peterp »

Has anyone else tried wrapping insulation around the chrome rail feeding the carbs? That's the only change I made (and pretty poorly with temporary velcro insulation for now) and it seems to have helped a lot. I finally had a chance to do an extended drive in hot weather last week when I went to a car event. It felt so good on the way home that I drove past my house and kept driving for another 45 minutes minutes just for fun. It used to run like to run like a scalded dog in cold temps, but feel less powerful on hot days. Now if feels very strong all the time. I don't know if something else is responsible, but the only change I made was the fuel rail insulation.
Peter P
1966 330 2+2 series 2 #8169
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Peter,

It's very possible this may have solved your issue. I'm sure the alcohol in the fuel boils at a lower temperature and wreaks havoc with how the carburetor was designed to run!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053