Cleaning Spoked Wheels - Lend me your Pro Tips!

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Tom Wilson

Cleaning Spoked Wheels - Lend me your Pro Tips!

Post by Tom Wilson »

I spent a lot of time cleaning my wheels yesterday and have the bruised knuckles to prove it! In the end, I rate the result OK. What have you guys done to make this more efficient, better and hopefully less painful.... And as long as we are on the topic, my rear wheels were a bit dirty, but the fronts were heavily coated with brake dust. Thoughts?
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
tyang

Re: Cleaning Spoked Wheels - Lend me your Pro Tips!

Post by tyang »

Hi Tom,

There is no easy way to thoroughly clean wire wheels that I know of without sore fingers and harsh language. I've had some cleaning success with a cone shaped brush that came with a set of Borannis I bought new for a customer, but I polishing is another issue. I have found a deep cleaning a polishing can only be done well with the wheel off the car on a work bench, that way you're at least standing or sitting comfortably. You'll be there for a while!

Front brakes do the majority of the stopping, so the front wheels will get dirtier from brake dust. Your daily driver probably has the same condition.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

A bottle brush type brush is handy for cleaning the spokes, but make sure to put a guard at the tip so the wire doesn't scratch things. I put a a short piece of nylon tubing at the tip of my brush. Also, dishwasher soap is pretty good for managing the water spots.

john
PF Coupe
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

I have used "NEVER DULL" for the alloy portion of the wheels with great results, and the grandkids with little fingers for the spokes! Be careful with brushes so that they do not leave marks in the soft alloy part of the wheel.