250 GTE Parts Catalogue thread

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

ClassicParts

250 GTE Parts Catalogue thread

Post by ClassicParts »

Hello everyone

To introduce myself, I'm Andrew Stevens at Maranello Classic Parts in the UK (www.ferrariparts.co.uk) and some of you will know me from dealing with us, or seeing me at events over the years, possibly with our 365GT 2+2 before it went onto a new home.

For many years at MCP we have been tinkering away on a 250 GTE Parts Catalogue as one of our projects. As you can imagine, trying to write a retrospective parts catalogue (or catalog for those of you in the USA :P ) for a 60 year old car is a bit of a mission and will never be 100% done, but the task has now evolved down the chain to me as the previous guys working on this have all retired or passed away!

Basically now we have 40 pages of 'exploded diagrams' with part number listings that we have matched some part numbers to, but there are a lot of blanks that we need to fill in. My hope and plan is to 'crowd source' some of this information so that we can move the project forward. The plan at this stage is that ultimately the information will be up on our website as a central source and sometime in the future possibly be printed in hard copy as well.

To that end, I will be posting pages here with some of the details we have and will be seeking help to fill in the blank part numbers where we can. As I mentioned, I am sure that we will still have some blanks going forward, but I feel that it's important to get the information together while we can. I will be looking to meet up with some GTE experts here in the UK when I can to discuss and share their knowledge too if possible!

Hopefully I can make use of the experience of many of the Forum members out there who know what parts also fit other models or are 250 specific which will help me make progress. The diagrams have come from various sources, some Factory, some other models, and will not always be 100% correct, or necessarily cover all variations of the car, but knowing that will help us tidy up the project as well.

I will try my best to post a page every week or so to allow us to work on. If you come up with suitable numbers, feel free to post it up with Page/Tav number and item number and I'll fill it in on my Master File here.

Now, to make sure I can post the pictures properly!

Cheers

Andrew Stevens
ClassicParts

Re: 250 GTE Parts Catalogue thread

Post by ClassicParts »

Now, for no particular reason, I thought I would start at the end and work back to the beginning, on the basis that the later pages in the catalogue have had less attention. Now, here I attach the parts diagram we have, the number listing and also for reference the diagram from the Handbook.

I think in looking at the Handbook diagram we may need to rework the 'exploded' diagram, but regardless, if you have any numbers to match these, let me know and we'll see how we go! For starters I think we should have a 'group' part number for the spanners rather than number them indivdually.

Cheers

Andrew Stevens
Attachments
GTETav40c.JPG
GTETav40b.JPG
GTETav40a.JPG
ClassicParts

Post by ClassicParts »

Oh and to clarify - the numbers that are in the listing at the moment (e.g. 241-40-001-90) are there basically as 'made-up' place numbers to give us something to work on in our system.

Andrew Stevens
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Andrew - I have the original tool kit that came with my GTE and have photos of each tool if that will be of help. I will take a look and see what numbers I can find.
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
ClassicParts

Post by ClassicParts »

Thanks Tom
Keen for any input. Even if you can say that 'X' part is the same as used on a 275/330 or whatever, then that helps the whole project along.

I'll post up the next page now, which is the fuel tank etc. I'm thinking this has a lot in common with the 330GT - but will be guided by you experts out there!

Cheers

Andrew Stevens
ClassicParts

Post by ClassicParts »

Tav39a.JPG
OK - Have a look and let me know how similar a GTE tank and pumps are to a 330GT or something else!

Cheers

Andrew Stevens
Attachments
Tav39b.JPG
Tom Wilson

Post by Tom Wilson »

Andrew - I am prepared to send way too much information on Tools. Do you have a dropbox I can use?
Tom Wilson - Series III 250 GTE, SN 4247 GT
Curator of the 250 GTE Register
http://www.250GTE.com
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Andrew,

On the fuel tank assemblies.

What I have found is most cars are missing with #14 the rubber insulating washer because it disintegrated and they didn't know it was missing. Although the diagram shows one, I usually use two to isolate the gas tank from the chassis. sandwiched with the two fender washers. I use a more durable material like polyurethane or delrin as a washer material about 1/8" thick.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
ClassicParts

Post by ClassicParts »

Right - apologies for the delayed reply and thanks for those who are looking and assisting! It's been a bit hectic here for the last couple of weeks and I've also had a few days off and will have a few more while we have the UK equivalent of Car Week over here, with a couple of high profile Concours events leading up to the Goodwood Revival on the 17th/18th/19th of the month.

Now, I thought before I post the next pages, I would post a page of the 330GT parts book for reference and explain some of the information included in case people don't know about the extra information you can read from them. Also be aware that these books are not infallable, we have noted some examples of mistakes/misprints of part numbers that we have corrected in our online version on our website as we discover them, so it's always worth having a look at our Site if you are unsure.
330GTTav39.JPG
Now, the diagram attached is of the 330GT radiator etc. The Figura number, disegno, nomenclatura and pezzi are pretty obvious:
Figure or item number from the diagram, part number, name and quantity fitted.
Now, you will see some of the Disegno numbers are not part numbers in the normal 5 or 6 part digit number format (or sometimes 7, 8 or 9 digit). They are often items like nuts (Dado), bolts (Bullone) or washers (Rondella). Now, we have the advantage here of a January 1974 separate Ferrari Spare Parts price list that gives us a cross reference for something like Rondella 6 R 4 to part number 10516470. Over the years we have collected a lot of that sort of info to speed up the process when we are trying to work out parts for customer orders - it's a lesson in Italian to English translations as well, which I'm gradually getting better at!

Now, the Matricola (serial number) column is the one that is often overlooked, but can be helpful to us. For intance, again item 8, it lists 128 F - which means that this part was first used in a 128 F series car - e.g. a 250GTE or 250 PF Cabrio Series 2. Where it lists 571 - that is a Series/model code for a 330GT Mk 1. In other situations it may list a bolt or stud size and thread (in metric of course!) or a manufacturer part number for something like the temperature sender in item 26. So, if you look closely, you can find a fair amount out about the actual part you might need.

I hope this is of interest and possibly help to people. Will post up a couple more pages shortly. Note that you can buy reprints of the 330GT Mk 1 and Mk 2 parts books and handbooks from us, plus quite few others as well! :wink:
ClassicParts

Post by ClassicParts »

Hello Tom Wilson too - sorry for the delayed reply. I think we have a DropBox setup at home - will check and advise you directly!

Cheers
ClassicParts

Post by ClassicParts »

Ok - moving on through the catalogue. I've got a couple of pages to post up:
Tav38.JPG
Tav38a.JPG
Note that we've made some progress on this, but second opinions always welcome!
ClassicParts

Post by ClassicParts »

Right - now for Tav 37!
Tav37b.JPG
Tav37a.JPG
Tav37.JPG
ClassicParts

Post by ClassicParts »

If anyone has questions about this, or Parts Catalogues in general, please ask and I'll try my best to help. Always learning!
ClassicParts

Post by ClassicParts »

Hello again

Slipping in Tav 36 now before I'm off for a few days to enjoy the Goodwood Revival. If you search around the Goodwood website or YouTube, you might come across the live free from the circuit/ Look out for the Friday evening race - the Stirling Moss trophy as there are 5 250 SWBs listed on the entry. I think 4 of them are genuine cars - only one rebody as far as I am aware from the entry list. While they might not beat the E-Types now, still great to see them racing - and great to have a few overseas visitors back. Stay safe everyone!

Andrew
ClassicParts

Post by ClassicParts »

OK - now Tav 36 - steering wheel and column. Have a look and feel free to post up any comments on this (or any of the previous pages) on what fits/bolt or nut sizes/thread sizes or anything else we can work from!
Tav36.JPG
Tav36a.JPG
Tav36b.JPG
Thanks for checking and please don't be shy in adding comments or questions!

Andrew