Ceramic fuses

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Fasthound330

Ceramic fuses

Post by Fasthound330 »

Where do folks source actual ceramic fuses? My fuse block takes 8amp (easy to find), 15amp (16amp easy to find) and 30 and 50amp fuses.

Lots of Chinese plastic versions available, but I am looking for bullet/torpedo style ceramic fuses for my 330GTC. I was able to get some ceramic spares from my local Ferrari mechanic shop as a favor, but would like a source for the future. Can find 25amp and 40amp, and as emergency spares that’s OK, but would prefer to get the actual 30 and 50 amp fuses to have as spares. And just because I’m anal about this sort of stuff, would really prefer 15amp vs 16amp even though I know the 16amp is fine. Silly, I know, but such is life.

Any reliable sources?

Thanks,
Kevin
1967 330 GTC s/n 9911
Jimmyr

Re: Ceramic fuses

Post by Jimmyr »

VW still used them until recently, most VW dealers and shops that service VW or build sand rails have stocks of these ceramic style fuses.
peterp

Post by peterp »

Fasthound330 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:06 am Where do folks source actual ceramic fuses? My fuse block takes 8amp (easy to find), 15amp (16amp easy to find) and 30 and 50amp fuses.

Lots of Chinese plastic versions available, but I am looking for bullet/torpedo style ceramic fuses for my 330GTC. I was able to get some ceramic spares from my local Ferrari mechanic shop as a favor, but would like a source for the future. Can find 25amp and 40amp, and as emergency spares that’s OK, but would prefer to get the actual 30 and 50 amp fuses to have as spares. And just because I’m anal about this sort of stuff, would really prefer 15amp vs 16amp even though I know the 16amp is fine. Silly, I know, but such is life.

Any reliable sources?

Thanks,
Kevin
Do you have a pic of the ceramic fuses? I don't think I've seen or noticed them. Petty sure all of mine are plastic.

As an aside, not sure if it is the case with your GTC, but the 330 GT owner's manual does not specify what fuses are in each slot. It lists what the function of each fuse is, but no reference to amperage. Seems either very weird, or extremely Italian, depending on whether you are an optimist or pessimist :).
Peter P
1966 330 2+2 series 2 #8169
Fasthound330

Post by Fasthound330 »

On my 330 GTC, the fuse "boxes" have covers that show the fuse amperage and all connections.

Fuse "box" cover with connections listed as well as fuse amperage
Fuse "box" cover with connections listed as well as fuse amperage
Inside the fuse "boxes"
Inside the fuse "boxes"
Actual fuses - top fuse is the old style ceramic.  Blue fuses are plastic
Actual fuses - top fuse is the old style ceramic. Blue fuses are plastic
1967 330 GTC s/n 9911
peterp

Post by peterp »

Fasthound330 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:26 pm On my 330 GTC, the fuse "boxes" have covers that show the fuse amperage and all connections.
Thanks for the info. There are no amperage markings on the 330 GT fuse covers, just labels (in Italian on mine).

Thanks for the photo of ceramic fuse. I think I may have some based upon the ceramic having brass metal instead of silver (presumably zinc), need to look closer at the them next time I'm in there.

These fuses on eBay below have the brass metal instead of silver -- I assume the barrels are plastic, rather than ceramic, even though "ceramic" is in the listing title. They also have fluting in the fuse barrel. I suspect these would look very correct with the brass contacts, even if they aren't ceramic.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/203531270571?h ... SwxRFg9oLK

Peter P
1966 330 2+2 series 2 #8169
330Jim

Post by 330Jim »

With a little finesse it may be possible to remove the metal fuse part from a plastic fuse and install it on a blown ceramic fuse. This would allow you to reuse blown ceramic fuses.

Cheers Jim
enio45

Post by enio45 »

Also - i have a collection of these old and new style - i have found variations of the length by 1 MM. Good practice to clean the fues block ends, slightly bend them and insert fuse and CHECK the fit....slightly loose causes you chasing your tail all over the place trying to fix a problem.

Related to restoration of wiring harnesses and fuse blocks FWIW, i have had excellent results inserting the whole harness and fuse block and cleaning the terminals, mounting bits, set screws and the like with the vapor honeing process. Vapor honeing (used with water) keeps the heat down, tabs NOT warping and beautiful finish like a new fuse block.
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
Fasthound330

Post by Fasthound330 »

Thanks everyone. Yeah, I think I’m likely stuck with the plastic fuses. Not finding the 30 or 50amp fuses anywhere, so will use 25 and 40amp as necessary. I am tempted to go the route of trying to remove the metal parts from the plastic fuses and apply to the body of the ceramic pieces. But I also realized several of my fuses are already replaced with plastic versions, so I am not going to strive to hard to be a purist I guess. We’ll see how I feel when one blows and needs replacement.
1967 330 GTC s/n 9911