330 GT 2+2 Alloy Wheel Offset, Painted Sills?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

csullivan67

330 GT 2+2 Alloy Wheel Offset, Painted Sills?

Post by csullivan67 »

While researching some 330 GT 2+2's in the "unknown" section of 330GT.com, I noticed a couple of unique details on a 330 (presumably photographed by Tom Yang in 2017):

Wheel offset- These wheels appear to have much less dish than every other alloy wheel. Was there more than one alloy wheel specification offered for this car?

Sill Panel Contrasting Paint- Did the sill panel underneath the doors ever get painted a different color than the rest of the car? It could be a reflection, but I'm not sure.

Thanks in advance.
Attachments
TY20170823_01.jpg
peterp

Re: 330 GT 2+2 Alloy Wheel Offset, Painted Sills?

Post by peterp »

csullivan67 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:58 pmWheel offset- These wheels appear to have much less dish than every other alloy wheel. Was there more than one alloy wheel specification offered for this car?
They do look very shallow dished in the photo, but I think it might be an optical illusion -- when I look closely with reading glasses on, it looks more like the expected depth -- but from a distance they do look very shallow.
csullivan67 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:58 pmSill Panel Contrasting Paint- Did the sill panel underneath the doors ever get painted a different color than the rest of the car? It could be a reflection, but I'm not sure.
I believe they were all body color from the factory. It used to be fairly common to see them painted black when 330GT's were not appreciated, but less common today.

This car is 11393, which is actually a one-off 330 GT with a 365 engine, I think built for Enzo. In the photo, the sill almost looks chrome. The sign implies it has been Classiche certified, so maybe that's how this one-off was done. I don't think Classiche requires original colors, but if it's chrome, that would be pretty far off from what the factory had in mind.
Peter P
1966 330 2+2 series 2 #8169
peterp

Post by peterp »

Here is another photo of 11393 when it was red in 1994. From this angle, it is pretty clear that you were correct that the wheel dish is much shallower than typical. This may be because this one-off was built actually based upon the 365 GT chassis, versus just a 330 with a 365 engine.

Peter P
1966 330 2+2 series 2 #8169
csullivan67

Post by csullivan67 »

Thanks, Peter. A search for that serial found photos of the same car at the same event, thanks! I'm not able to see your 1994 photo for some reason.

Personally, I really like how the wheels and tires fill the wheel wells, but I'll pass on chrome sills. The rarity of this particular car's specification will be difficult to identify wheel/tire size, but that serial number might get this car out of the "Unknown" category on Kerry's website!