Pedal box disassembly

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Melchior

Pedal box disassembly

Post by Melchior »

Hello,

does anybody know how to disassemble the pedal box of a 250 GTE? I have opened up the screws of the cone but can‘t remove it. The ball bearings are pressed in obviously - how can I take all parts appart without destroying the soft aluminium parts?

Thank you and best regards,

Martin
Attachments
223824CA-F3E2-4CBE-B723-101FFA56A6AA.jpeg
250 GTE #3631 (series Ii)
John Vardanian

Re: Pedal box disassembly

Post by John Vardanian »

Martin, I did this awhile back and I don't remember it to be particularly difficult. The main shaft is actually an integral part of the clutch pedal, which runs thru three ball bearings and the hollow brake pedal axle. The "cone" is press fitted inside the box. The first step is to remove the clutch actuation arm from the nose of the cone, then remove the pedal pinch bolts, etc. Hopefully this picture will help.

john
Attachments
Pedal box.jpg
IMG_1394a.jpg
PF Coupe
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Hello John,

thank you for your help. Have removed all parts already, it is just that the shaft of the clutch sits so tight in the cone that I can‘t remove it without force. Did you use a pull-off tool or how could you pull out part no 5 of your drawing?

The explosion drawing is very helpful, out of which manual is it? I have a lot of documentation but I see such explosion drawings time to time which I miss - is there a parts book or something like that?

Martin
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Martin, there is no place for a traditional puller. I seem to remember I fashioned an expander and placed it inside the box and then by turning it, I pushed out the cone from the box, which also pulled the shaft out. The diagram came from a pretty popular shop manual from the 1970's, it's titled Ferrari 250GT/E Manual. I have a pdf copy but I cannot attach it here. Let me know if you want a copy.

john
PF Coupe
330GT

Post by 330GT »

Melchior wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 2:02 pm ...
The explosion drawing is very helpful, out of which manual is it? I have a lot of documentation but I see such explosion drawings time to time which I miss - is there a parts book or something like that?

Martin
That exploded drawing is from the 330 GT parts manual. The 4HL model used a pedal board while the later interim and 2hl models had hanging pedals.
Regards, Kerry
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Thank you John and Kerry for your help!
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Thank you John and Kerry for your help! I checked my library again and found that I have the documents but did not look carefully enough at first sight. I understand that there is no special way to dissemble the pedal box. I do have the problem that the shaft cannot be removed. Do you think that pressing the shaft where it comes out of the cone is a good approach? The bearings sit very tight in the housing and do not move at all.

Regards,

Martin
chris

Post by chris »

Hi Martin,

As some of the parts are aluminum casting and others steel there is electrolytic corrosion which holds things together. Use a good rust solver to soak for some days. Then clean and carefully heat housing and remove shaft using slight presure, best in form of a puller/ pulling device not hydraulic press to better control and have feel for it. Should come out. If not give me a call to discuss.

Cheers
Christopher
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Martin, there is no bimetallic contact here. The shaft goes thru three ball bearings and the cone itself is press fitted inside the pedal box. That is four sources of friction that you overcome in taking this thing apart. I think I modified a turnbuckle and placed it inside the box. There are specialty tools as well.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... r&_sacat=0

john
PF Coupe
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

The shaft is ribbed as well...
Attachments
IMG_1333.jpg
PF Coupe
chris

Post by chris »

Hi John,

as Martin mentioned that the bearings sit tight in the housing and can not be moved I guees there might be eletrolytical corroions between housing and steel carrier of bearing - see his post above. You are right in that there is only steel between shaft and bearing.

Cheers
Christopher