Valve Stem Protectors

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Melchior

Valve Stem Protectors

Post by Melchior »

Hello,

Does anybody have the original valve stem protectors of the Borrani wheels? I need an expressive foto and drawing with the measurements to machine these. Also the kind of plating is of my interest - ate these cadmium plated or chromed?

Can anybody help please?

Thank you and best regards,

Martin
250 GTE #3631 (series Ii)
chris

Re: Valve Stem Protectors

Post by chris »

This one is on a GTE. I took the photo in Padua. Dimensions would be great to have.

Thanks
Christopher
Attachments
C69DEBF0-BADD-42F0-B9EA-684B7748809B.png
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Martin, here are a couple of pictures. One is Parker Hall's photo showing the measurements of an original valve protector and a piece of an original Pirelli innertube. However, you are going to learn that this is too short for today's innertube stems. The other photo is my wheel, showing a somewhat longer collar. I also had to cut more threads and shave more rubber to make this work.

john
Attachments
IMG_1009.JPG
innertube2.jpg
PF Coupe
Melchior

Post by Melchior »

Thank you John,

I understand that the original stem would not match todays inner tubes / valve outlets due to different measurements. Did you note the final measurements that you machined?

Regards,

Martin
250 GTE #3631 (series Ii)
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Martin, I did not, because I made them one at a time to fit that particular wheel. I wanted a nice seating where the cut met the wheel, with no gaps and no black innertube showing. The knurled thumb screws are all the same, I but the cups may vary slightly. Here are the reject cups I made; the short one is per Parker's specs and the taller one is what actually worked with the wheel.

john
Attachments
IMG_0997.JPG
PF Coupe
tyang

Post by tyang »

I don't think anyone answered the plating on these pieces, but they're supposed to be white Cadmium plated. All these parts are for concours detailing, but for regular road use people like Lucas tire, and Coker Tire, sell a plastic collar that will slide onto the inner tube valve before installation on the wheel that will protect and space the valve stem from the larger hole in the wheel.

I did a video that shows these spacers:
https://youtu.be/xOJx16xZCtA

Tom
'63 330 America #5053