Buddy's new wiring harness

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Yale

Buddy's new wiring harness

Post by Yale »

Kerry writes that Buddy O. just got a new wiring harness made in Italy from the folks who orginally made these for many of our cars. Makes me wonder, Buddy, what made you feel you needed a new wiring harness? Who is going to install it? How long will that take? Any other work being done at the same time? Thank you. Yale
330GT

Post by 330GT »

Here's a picture of Buddy's wiring harness:

Beautiful isn't it.

Regards, Kerry
Racerrad

Post by Racerrad »

Very nice. I am curious what the particulars of this are.

In response to Yale, sometimes a new harness is more confidence inspiring than trying to make heads or tales of someone else's piece work. I have been planning a new harness as well. To this point I was going to start with a universal "hot rod" type from Ron Francis.

Rad
330GT

Post by 330GT »

Buddy gave me some particulars. It's being installed at Algar Ferrari. The whole console and dash had to come out. Probably some of the trim (for the trunk and interior light wiring) too. A big project. Buddy is also having some engine bay detailing done at the same time, but not much else.

Yes, replacing the whole harness is a lot of work, but I can remember spending hours (about 40) staring at the wiring diagram and then at the wires on my 330 when I first got it. There were many cut off wires, jumpers across fuses, relays not being used, new wires, etc. When it was all said and done, I found all of the original wires, had to add some new ends and got everything back to original per the wiring diagram. I didn't find any burned wires that needed replacing, just had to replace some terminals.

However, once I got that done, cleaning the fuses and copper terminals every year or two keeps all of the electrics running. A friend uses O-rings around each fuse to keep the copper terminals in good contact with the fuse.

Regards, Kerry
giovanni44

Wilring harness

Post by giovanni44 »

Kerry& Buddy,
Is that ever georgous!!!
Would you mind sharing where you purchased the harness from and how
you got in touch with the people who made it for you.

Giovanni
330GT

Post by 330GT »

It was bought through Algar Ferrari (who are also installing it). They handled the Italian end.

Regards, Kerry
Michael Bayer

Post by Michael Bayer »

Guys: Don't go there! Buddy's mantra for Ferraris is perrrrfection. I call it Buddizing, way beyong the ability of a mere mortal to go. One road trip with him and I spent several thousand dollars on my 330 just to recapture some self respect! Seriously, Buddy loves his car, if any of us were to come back in another life as an automobile, we need to be Buddy's Ferrari 330! M
buddy

Post by buddy »

YALE , IN RESPONSE TO YOUR QUESTION , IT WAS A FIRE WAITING TO HAPPEN , JUST A MATTER OF WHEN . UPON REMOVING THE OLD WIRING , TONY THE ALGAR MECHANIC SHOWED ME FOUR WIRES THAT WERE LIVE AND BURNED THRU . HE ALSO TOOK OUT ABOUT 30 LBS. OF WIRE THAT WERE A RESULT OF YEARS OF QUICK FIX ATTEMPTS BURIED WHERE THE NORMAL OWNER WOULD NEVER LOOK OR HAVE THE OCCASION TO GO OTHER THAN A GROUND UP RESTORATION . I ADMIDT IT IS PRICEY BUT I FEEL BETTER KNOWING I WONT BE A BALL OF FLAMES GOING DOWN THE HIGHWAY. I ALSO DRIVE THE HELL OUT OF MY CAR . THE INSTALL TOOK ABOUT ONE WEEK . MANY OF THE WIRES WERE BRITTLE AND AS SOON AS THEY WERE TOUCHED BROKE . ANYONE WHO IS INTERESTED SHOULD CONTACT LIVIO THE PARTS GUY FOR THE LAST 30 YEARS AT ALGAR .(610 - 527 1100 ) BUDDY #9667
rschmoll

Wiring Harness Contact

Post by rschmoll »

For those of you interested, the following URL will most likely supply the wiring harness for your car. But, they are not cheap. Right, Buddy?

http://www.classicwiring.com/index.php
buddy

WIRING HARNESS

Post by buddy »

RSCHMOLL , CORRECT, IT WAS NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART. MY HARNESS DID NOT COME FROM YOUR POSTED SITE. IT CAME FROM SOMEONE THAT MADE THE ORIGINALS IN THE 60'S IN ITALY FOR FERRARI. I GUESS THE GUY GRABBED ALL THE STOCK WHEN IT CHANGED AND HAS IT AVAILABLE AS NEW TODAY. MY HARNESS CAME WITH A COMPLETELY NEW FUSE BOARD RELAYS ETC. YOUR SITE DOES NOT OFFER ANYTHING FOR A 330 GT NOR ANY MENTION OF A FUSE BOARD . ANYONE INTERESTED SHOULD CALL LIVIO AT ALGAR FERRARI(610- 527 1100) WHO HAS BEEN THERE AT LEAST 30 + YEARS AND KNOWS WHO TO CALL . BUDDY # 9667
330GT

Post by 330GT »

Evidently Re-Originals found the same source in Italy:

http://www.reoriginals.com/browseproduc ... E0342.html

Only $2840.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605