Rear gearbox shaft seal

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

chris

Rear gearbox shaft seal

Post by chris »

Hi Tom, hi all,

as most of you will know I have finished my GTE and have driven some time to run it in. I do have a small leak from the rear gearbox seal at the drive shaft end and am thinking of changig it again.

Now my question. I would love to not take out seats and gearbox tunnel again to do it. If I have it on the ramp will it be possible to change the seal from below by just taking of the prop shaft and prop shaft flange?

Thanks
Christopher
John Vardanian

Re: Rear gearbox shaft seal

Post by John Vardanian »

Chris, once you get the prop-shaft out of the way, you can remove the large castle nut and then the flange will pull out. The seal can then be replaced. It seems to me you may not need to undo the prop-shaft a the axle end, but Tom can cofirm this.

john
Attachments
Trans cross section.jpg
PF Coupe
chris

Post by chris »

Hi John,

thanks for the info. I formulated my question a little bit akward. I already did this during the renovation of the box and overdrive.

My question is more that now that the car is all together again if it can be done from below without removing the gearbox tunnel. Is there anoth room to do it?

(I know that I have to secure the doughnut with hose clamps or loading straps to not expand for remounting)

Thanks
Christopher
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Christopher,

I'm pretty sure you can do it from below without removing the interior. The drive shaft will have to come out along with the rubber doughnut. I have found using a long thin punch inserted into the hollow end of the guibo joint bolt will have guide them back into the four flange holes. Make sure there are no imperfections on the sealing surface as that may be the reason for the oil leak. Sometimes you can clean up the surface with some emory cloth, but if the corrosion is too severe, I've used a speedi-sleeve.
https://www.skf.com/us/products/industr ... edi-sleeve
these are a life saver!

Good luck!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
chris

Post by chris »

Thanks Tom. I will try this if necessary. I had a long drive yesterday and no further leak. At the moment I keep fingers cross that I do not have to do it.

I know the speedisleeves, they are great to repair running sealing surfaces. Can also really recommend them.

All the best and a happy easter
Christopher
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Chris,

You're welcome and good luck!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053