Daytona Brake Caliper Rebuild

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

DrewA

Daytona Brake Caliper Rebuild

Post by DrewA »

Hi Folks,

I'm mainly a looker on Tom's site although I do post here and very much enjoy the site.

I need to have my rear (and probably front) calipers rebuilt. I'm handy but don't know if I want to take this on and the parts seem hard to source.

Who are you folks using to rebuild your calipers. From the parts book look like the calipers are ATE.

Appreciate and leads.

Drew Altemara
Steve Meltzer

Re: Daytona Brake Caliper Rebuild

Post by Steve Meltzer »

I was able to rebuild mine, so it can't be that hard. I did have to get professional help to get the pistons out of the bore, and it was a few years ago, so I'll probably miss a few things, but i know that you use compressed air to blowout the pistons, gently hone the bores, use the special brake lube they sell. ( I can send you what i have left and it'll be enough.) Put in all new hoses,watch the shims when you remove the hardware. Take your time and be meticulous, and clean everything to surgical standards. Dirty job, but knida fun when you take your time. I think Bill Young at GT Car Parts has the necessary parts. I'd put in all new bleed screws with a judicious coating of anti-seize, mark everything R or L. Good luck! You can do it. call if i can give encouragement. steve 832-452-3859
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
DrewA

Post by DrewA »

Thanks Tom,

Maybe I'll give it a shot.

Was there any trick to getting the pistons out of the cylinder other than using compressed air?

I've watched a couple of UTube videos and other than a piston getting stuck it doesn't look that bad.

Drew
Terry Gardiner

Post by Terry Gardiner »

Be careful with the compressed air!

I managed to fire a brake piston across the workshop, chipping it and rendering it scrap.

In other words, ensure the piston will be properly restrained immediately it moves and leaves the cylinder.

It’s obvious in hindsight - like so many things.
Terry Gardiner
250GTE - #4681
365BB - #18131
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Drew,

Terry is right, be careful! Wrap the assembly with a shop rag before applying compressed air and keep it away from painted surfaces. When the piston pops, it often it accompanied with a cloud of brake fluid, so watch out where the fluid goes. The rag will keep the splatter down and catch the piston from hitting anything. If it doesn't want to budge, try pushing the stuck piston back in a little bit to free up the rust ridge holding it in place then try air pressure again.

Good luck.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
chris

Post by chris »

With pistons really stuck I use a grease gun to get them out. I modified some bleeders to take the gun hose and others to close off openings, e.g. for brake lines. This works quite well for stuck pistons which cannot be removed by air. You just have to make 100% sure that no grease remains on parts as brake fluid and mineral grease will mean a big danger in the brake system.

All the best
Christopher
Terry Gardiner

Post by Terry Gardiner »

“ With pistons really stuck I use a grease gun to get them out.”

I like that! Controllable I think.
Terry Gardiner
250GTE - #4681
365BB - #18131
DrewA

Post by DrewA »

Thanks folks. I've got a god idea of what to do now. Will keep you updated. Drew
DrewA

Post by DrewA »

Well, one of the pistons is stuck pretty good. Used the grease gun on the other 3. It has moved out about an 1/8". Thinking of apply heat to the caliper with a heat gun set on high and dropping some dry ice inside the piston. After that the only thing I can think of is pushing the piston back in with a big c-clamp and working it back and forth with the grease gun and c-clamp.

What a messy job. ... and my wife will not let me use the washer with my greasy t-shirts. :)

Anything I'm missing?

Drew
DrewA

Post by DrewA »

Wanted to close this thread. I finally got all he pistons out. Ended up buying a larger more expensive grease gun. I think my old smaller grease gun could not but enough pressure on the pistons in the caliper.