Instrument removal GTE

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

2837GT

Instrument removal GTE

Post by 2837GT »

Hi All,
I noticed an old thread about removing the instruments from a 330 GT 2+2
My 250 GTE Instruments suffer from smears and marks on the inside of the glass.
The dials are somewhat faded to grey but I rather like that patinated/tropical look, with the exception of the temp gauge they seem to read accurately enough too.
So rather than a restoration I would just like to give them a clean.
Can they be removed 'from the front' without accessing the rear of the dash or taking the dash out ?
If so, can the glass be easily separated from dial for cleaning ?
tyang

Re: Instrument removal GTE

Post by tyang »

Hi Graham,

The gauges all come out individually from the front without removing the dash. They're held in with knurled knobs and brackets. It's going to take some contortions and squeezing your hands into tight spaces to get them out, but it can be done. I find it easier to remove the speedo or tach gauges first to give you better access to the smaller gauges. Don't forget you have to disconnect the speedo and tach drive cables to allow the gauges to move out of their respective holes. The center ones over the console may require you to remove the center console to get better access. There are a bunch of wires, lights, and ground wires to keep track of, so try to keep track of everything.

Once the gauges are out, you will have to pry the bezels out carefully without breaking the tabs that are bent over to hold them to the gauge body. Bend them only enough to get them to pop off to avoid bending them back and snapping.

Good luck!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
2837GT

Re: Instrument removal GTE

Post by 2837GT »

Thank you Tom