Ferrari 365 GT 2+2 radiator fan noise

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

330GT_London

Ferrari 365 GT 2+2 radiator fan noise

Post by 330GT_London »

Problem with screeching noise from the radiator fan on my 365 GT 2+2. It is the dual type with metal blades and Marelli motor. The fan works well, it is just the noise that is not correct. I have been under the car when the fan is still going after turning off the engine to make sure it is just the fan. I can see that the fan does create vibration and it seems like the vibration creates the noise. It is attached tight. Holding my hand firmly on the motor makes the noise go away. One fan creates more vibration than the other.
When I turn the blades with my hand, they turn fine and there is no noise.
Problem options:
1 - Unbalanced fan
2 - Bushing
3 - Something with the motor not 100% correct.
4 - Other ?

I first approach is to change the bushing where it is attached to the bracket. This is also very easy job without removing anything. I did see a picture of a second hand motor with the bushing still in place. This one seemed to have more / thicker bushing than on mine.I would imagine this could reduce some of the vibration. Still it is not fixing the cause of the vibration.

Please let me know if you have any suggestions for an easy fix. I have attached a picture, but hard to get proper access.

Appreciate the help.
Attachments
365radiatorfan_web.jpg
tyang

Re: Ferrari 365 GT 2+2 radiator fan noise

Post by tyang »

I've also seen (heard) the fan pushing against the bushing or bracket due to the play in the shaft. Spinning the fan by hand doesn't make a noise, but when the fan is pushing air, it pushes against he bushing.

Good luck!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053