365 GTC/4 US emission equipment power loss

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

330GT_London

365 GTC/4 US emission equipment power loss

Post by 330GT_London »

Fix for loss of horsepower in US version of the 365 GTC/4 ?

I was wondering if there is an easy way to get back the 20 horsepower loss from the emission equipment for the North American version of the GTC4. Maybe someone has done this job and has a step by step guide ? Is there a significant loss of power and what are the main factors worth considering.

I understand there are some differences like Distributors, ignition, anti-smog exhaust system, different carburettors ( Weber 38 DCOE 59/A and 60/A )plus revised intake and exhaust manifold.

Appreciate any input or advice.

Many thanks,
Kristian
tyang

Re: 365 GTC/4 US emission equipment power loss

Post by tyang »

Hi Kristian,

I'm sure there is some parasitic loss from the air injection system along with all the other minor changes, but 20 hp is a 5% difference which may not even show up in the real world, unless you're comparing two fresh engines at WOT.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
330GT_London

Post by 330GT_London »

Hi Tom,

Appreciate you getting back to me on this. If you feel that the US version drives and sounds as well as the Euro version, there is no need for me to try to change anything. I just wanted to check here on the forum if there were some different opinions around this and if anyone had any advice either way.

Many thanks,
Kristian
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Kristian,

With all the variables from states of tune to overall health of an engine, it will be hard to determine how much of it is really the effect of the emissions unless you have two identical rebuilt engines, but one with US specs, and one with European spec.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053