Screws during the paint job

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Melchior

Screws during the paint job

Post by Melchior »

Does anybody know whether the screws for trunk lid, engine hood and fuel filler flap are originally covered with the paint from the paint job or are these black oxide?

My assumption is that the engine hood was removed from the Ferrari factory after receiving the body from Pininfarina for better access to fit the engine. I found Lobo screws there which makes sense to me as Ferrari certainly took the screws they had in their shelf.

The trunk lid of #3631 was fixed with hexagonal bolts without any letters on it, showing a very small bore in the center - like a needle pinned whole. I found the same type of screws at the window mechanism in the doors at my car and at another (donor) car. I assume that these screws were used from the Pininfarina workshop. These screws were painted at my car, but this doesn’t provide any evidence as the car was resprayed. Question: have the screws at the hinge for the trunk lid been painted originally or were these black oxide due to fixing the lid after the paint job?

The same question appears at the fuel flap. The screws are without letters, showing the little center bore so appear to me being from Pininfarina which makes sense as there was probably no reason for Ferrari to remove/refit the flap, right? Again I would like to know whether these were painted with the body color or if these were black oxide.

Does anybody have a very original car to check this or even have knowledge about these questions please?
Attachments
EBD51121-503E-4308-A86A-1C13C51C9CCF.jpeg
250 GTE #3631 (series Ii)
tyang

Re: Screws during the paint job

Post by tyang »

Here's a picture of SN 2259, which I photographed as it was parked in 1967.
2259_3.jpg
2259_3.jpg (102.92 KiB) Viewed 935 times
I have higher resolution pictures, but the bolts on the hinges are body color, and I believe the gas filler are the same.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Melchior

Re: Screws during the paint job

Post by Melchior »

Hello Tom and thank you for the helpful picture/information.

Best regards, Martin
250 GTE #3631 (series Ii)