330GT frozen front suspension

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

cog

330GT frozen front suspension

Post by cog »

Hi I'm new to this forum, and would like some advice on my 330GT 2+2 Mk2. I've owned the car for several years, but haven't done many miles. When I recently took the car for service, the front suspension was found to be seized. This was never picked up before, so I can only presume that this has happened since the car was last serviced. I must admit that I had not detected the problem when driving.

To remedy the problem I've been told that the whole suspension needs to be dismantled which also involves some difficulty in compressing the springs and removing the pins about which the suspension hinges. I've read on this forum about such seizures and the consequent issues of repair.

All the grease points have been liberally lubricated. I've tried putting the car on uneven ground and also some very sharp stops so as to stress the frozen pins. Has anyone any experience of breaking them free?
Jimmyr

Re: 330GT frozen front suspension

Post by Jimmyr »

The upper and lower outside pivot shafts are a source of frozen front arms. These are the areas where the last few owners did not spend time to push the grease all the way through the shafts and/or the old grease turned to stone. Remove the circlip from the bottom of the bucket while holding the spring compressed with a jack. This requires a strong special circlip tool, and a lot of caution as this is very dangerous if things slip!
You can then feel what is binding and clean the old harden grease out if the bushings are not worn. Best to have a shop do these if you are not sure about doing his.
cog

Post by cog »

Thanks for the response. I've seen the circlip and the access difficulty so don't fancy trying to do that. Many years ago I uprated the suspension on a car I had to stiffer springs. I had to use three spring compressors each time - it was about as difficult as I ever want in car mechanics. The coils on the 330 don't even look like they'll take a conventional compressors.
Anyway - the point of my post was to find if anyone had a technique for freeing up the suspension without resorting to such invasive mechanics. For example might it be possible to apply some leverage to the suspension and /or use an air hammer on the pins?
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

If the front end is frozen it will require full disassembly and repaired, either removing the old grease or replacing the bushings. This requires spring removal. In some previous topics here there were various discussions about spring removal. Again, this is a dangerous and difficult task, and it should be left to a proper shop if you are not able to do it. Any quick attempt to loosen the shafts with force (hammer) may result in damage or a temporary repair. The greases used by the factory back then were not long lived and tended to harden. If later service did not fully exit this old grease or they were never greased, then seized parts resulted. Note, this is very common with these older models.
tyang

Post by tyang »

I have found the proper tool to compress the front springs without too much danger. I will try to photograph it for you by the end of the week. There is a slight chance that once the spring is removed, you can try exercising the suspension to free up the binding. The orignal bushings were made of a fiber material and absorbed water if it wasn't greased regularly, but the new bushings are brass.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

The brass bushings are thicker than the fibre ones and will/may not work. If you need to replace the bushings use what style was fitted. Yes, removing the fibre bushings and cleaning the old grease out and re greasing them may solve the problem. Note once you compress the spring using what ever methode you choose, then the circlip at the bottom of the bucket will need to be removed, and this requires a special large circlip tool. The clip is usually frozen and rusted in place and may require some effort to remove. This will then allow you to disassemble all of the pins, arms, bushings , etc. Clean the clip, and grove before assembly. Be sure all of the Zerk fittings flow grease easily. Note there are two circlip groves about 20mm apart, this allows the front ride level to be adjusted for different conditions and weights; A/C, pb, or sagging spring. Again, be VERY careful with compressing the spring, and when in doubt- stop!
cog

Post by cog »

Thanks for the info guys. My car is a late 66 mk2 if that gives any clues. If the bushings are fibre I can well imagine them being porous. I can’t make up my mind which is better. The porosity is better for holding lubricants but also water.
When taking apart, do the seized pin and bush come out as one?
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

When driving/pushing the pins out, the bushings may or may not slide out with it. If the bushing stays in find a socket that fits into the bore and push it out. Repack with a good grease by hand and slide it back in, then after you reassemble add additional grease via the zerk.