Need correct door hinge pins for my Lusso

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Steve Meltzer

Need correct door hinge pins for my Lusso

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Driver's door is a damn perpetual motion machine.... won't stop until the end of its travel. I hope replacing the hinge pins will solve this, but I'm taking all the help I can get. thanx steve
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
Jimmyr

Re: Need correct door hinge pins for my Lusso

Post by Jimmyr »

Steve, the hinge pins have nothing to do with restraining the door, there were a couple of ways they used to do this. The older way was just a strap that limited the amount of swing , the other (later) was a rubber bumper inside the front trim panel.
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Jim. thanx, tho' it seems like more friction at the pin/hinge interface would make a difference. s
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

Steve, hinges should be smooth and non binding, note the grease fitting at the to to insure this.
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Steve, for some crazy reason, the Lusso door opens to nearly a perpendicular position to the side of the car. It probably has to with Scaglietti's crappy build quality. You and your passenger need to be mindful of this when parked at a slope.

john
PF Coupe
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

Steve, wind and passengers cannot be counted on to protect the door from swinging full open and possibly hitting the front fender and creasing the door. Some form of stop was designed in by the factory, first a simple strap, which looked not too nice, then the rubber stop inside the front jamb trim panel. Easy to install, just remove the front jamb trim (has light switch) and fasten a good rubber bumper to restrict the door from traveling full open. These old rubber bumper that the factory initially installed often harden and crumble, leaving the door able to open farther than needed.
Steve Meltzer

Post by Steve Meltzer »

thanx guys...what the heck were they thinkin'? s
steve meltzer,