Exhaust originality is an interesting topic

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

PSk

Exhaust originality is an interesting topic

Post by PSk »

Tom,

I think saying the ANSA exhaust is incorrect is interesting, as after all it was a genuine replacement exhaust and there must have been a Ferrari that went down the assembly line and got the ANSA exhaust while the previous car got the Abarth exhaust as the factory ran out of stock/supply.

We see this all the time with Alfas. There are 1750 GTVs with the 2 or 4 slot front panel and the small or large rear tail lights. They left the factory like that and one could argue that that is wrong, but if my car was original and came like that I'd not be changing it as that is how it left the factory ... but yeah, "oh the debates" that would be had :lol:

Best
Pete
330GT

Re: Exhaust originality is an interesting topic

Post by 330GT »

PSk wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:50 pm Tom,

I think saying the ANSA exhaust is incorrect is interesting, as after all it was a genuine replacement exhaust and there must have been a Ferrari that went down the assembly line and got the ANSA exhaust while the previous car got the Abarth exhaust as the factory ran out of stock/supply.

We see this all the time with Alfas. There are 1750 GTVs with the 2 or 4 slot front panel and the small or large rear tail lights. They left the factory like that and one could argue that that is wrong, but if my car was original and came like that I'd not be changing it as that is how it left the factory ... but yeah, "oh the debates" that would be had :lol:

Best
Pete
Good luck on arguing for ANSA.
From the IAC/PFA decisions page:
3. For exhausts:

a. 1947 through the 250 series cars (and car #6795) the systems were made by Abarth. From cars #6937 until the Daytona series, the systems were supplied by Spacem, Galletti and Cerretto. This information is on the factory build sheets.

b. Daytonas and later pre-modern cars use the ANSA systems. Modern cars use the Ferrari OEM systems.

c. Aftermarket exhausts will receive a deduction.

d. In cases where the original exhaust system is no longer available from the original manufacturer specified on the build sheet, the replacement should closely replicate the original.

e. If a pre-Daytona exhaust system has been replaced recently, when replacements that approximate the appearance of original Abarth, Spacem, Galletti or Cerretto are available, a deduction is suggested if they do not approximate the original.

From the Engine Max. Deductions document:
EXHAUST SYSTEM Mufflers, Pipes, Cats, Hangers, Manifolds, Resonators
Total system NOR -2 deduction.

So, if you have an ANSA exhaust, you can only lose 1 more point and still get a platinum. You might be able to argue that the headers and collectors look (or are) original and maybe not lose the max points.

Ferrari judging documents can be found on https://ferrariclubofamerica.org/page/ConcoursDocuments.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
tyang

Post by tyang »

PSk wrote: Mon Apr 10, 2023 5:50 pm Tom,

Best
Pete
Hi Pete,

For the 250s and up to many of the 330s, ANSA wasn't supplying exhausts in early to mid 60s, so they wouldn't have been installed at the factory on the assembly line. All this data has been collected over the last 20 years as judges and owners started paying attention to the exhausts and looking at original unrestored cars. I admit, when I first bought my car almost 25 years ago, ANSA was accepted as original because it was what most people used, but after listening to old timers, looking at original cars, we've all see our error and understand what is correct, and original.

Not to open a can of worms, Classiche may not necessarily install an correct Abarth exhaust if the car is restored at the factory, but will certainly want to see an Abarth exhaust on any car that is being certified!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
PSk

Post by PSk »

Wonder when they are going to start taking points off for head gaskets that the car did not leave the factory with :-)

Personally genuine factory supplied parts should be correct, even if the manufacturer changed. But yes it is complex
Pete