Ferrari 365 GTC/4 Rear suspension self levelling

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

330GT_London

Ferrari 365 GTC/4 Rear suspension self levelling

Post by 330GT_London »

Hi everyone.
My 365 GTC/4 is sitting too low on the rear. It has the rear Koni self levelling shocks with an air/gas inlet.
I was wondering if there is a way to fill these myself to adjust the ride hight or if they should be sent for a rebuild ? Could not find much information about how to adjust these ones.
Also hard to tell if the low rear hight is because of:
1 - the springs
2 - the secondary normal shocks ( towards front )
3 - The self levelling shocks ( towards rear )
Pictures attached.

Very happy if someone has experience with these and can give some advice.

Many thanks ,
Chris
Attachments
365GTC-4_suspensionRear_web.jpg
tyang

Re: Ferrari 365 GTC/4 Rear suspension self levelling

Post by tyang »

Hi Chris,

Chances are the load levelers have failed. I can't recall if the original load levelers had a schrader valve on the top as you pictured, but I'm pretty sure if you try to add air, it may be more air pressure than what you can add at home. I've heard so many stories about people rebuilding the load levelers only to have them fail a year or so later. I feel there is a design flaw, so they're going to eventually fail even if you put new seal inside. Koni does not rebuild these anymore, so that may tell you something. I've simple replaced them with the coil over manual adjustable shock and spring set up and moved on. The repair takes less than an hour and you won't have to worry about dragging your rear end around again!

Good luck.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053