Webers and ETOH

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Steve Meltzer

Webers and ETOH

Post by Steve Meltzer »

The accelerator pumps on my car are continuing to be problematic. DCNs that have been thoroughly cleaned and known to be patent, fail after just one drive....return home, try to restart the car the next day or so....no go. No or very poor "pump shot", but restarts easily with ether. Clean again, and repeat with the same "piss poor result". This has happened with two fuel tank refills, HEET and Marvel Mystery Oil (which I thought would work, since it says "Mystery" or "Magic"). I've heard that 10% ETOH fuel can damage rubber seals, but not so sure about this conundrum. (Yes, fuel pump verified to be working fine.)

Before i drain the tank and put in some non-ETOH fuel (difficult to get here in Houston), has anyone had the same experience? Thoughts?

thanx steve
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."
DWR46

Re: Webers and ETOH

Post by DWR46 »

Steve: you have a very common problem. If these are DCN carbs, how new are the pump diaphragms? If over 15 years old, they are probably not the current ethanol resistant ones. Pump problems vary by location as the Feds mandate different fuel mixes all over the country. Non-ethanol gas will DEFINITELY help, but might not totally eliminate the problem. You might investigate the No-Rosion fuel additives as they will neutralize and disperse the ethanol in today's fuels. Marvel Oil does help, as it adds lubricity to the fuel and provides some lubrication to the ball check valve in the Pump Delivery Valve that holds the Pump Jet in the top of the carb (I suspect this ball is sticking closed and stopping the fuel from exiting the Pump Jet). In any case, if you can get Non-Ethanol gas, do it, as it will benefit you in a number of ways.
Steve Meltzer

Re: Webers and ETOH

Post by Steve Meltzer »

Thanx so much, Dyke. I'll check out the No-rosion wares. Much appreciated. steve
steve meltzer,
"I've spent all of my money on wine, a beautiful woman, and stunning cars. Then, squandered the rest."