Fuse board junction/terminal/connector

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Fasthound330

Fuse board junction/terminal/connector

Post by Fasthound330 »

Does anyone have a reliable source for these connectors? There are two on the fuse panel board in the 330 GTC.

Thanks,
Kevin
Yes…it got a little “warm”
Yes…it got a little “warm”
1967 330 GTC s/n 9911
250gtgt

Re: Fuse board junction/terminal/connector

Post by 250gtgt »

Fasthound330 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:36 pm Does anyone have a reliable source for these connectors? There are two on the fuse panel board in the 330 GTC.

Thanks,
KevinIMG_3463.jpeg
Hello Kevin.,

By the early 1963 cars ? , this connectors were made out of bakelite .

These newer connectors ( plastic) can be found in every DIY electric shop a standard article in EU.

Or google under. : Lüsterklemmen diffetant sizes 2,5 mm 4.5 mm 7,5 mm (square mm)

and cost nothing 2-3 €

Best

C.
Michael Greenspan

Post by Michael Greenspan »

Kevin,

If you are not in Europe I would be happy to stop at a hardware store and buy one for you. I will be returning to the US next week and can send it to you when I return.

Michael
250gtgt

Post by 250gtgt »

250gtgt wrote: Mon Nov 06, 2023 7:46 am
Fasthound330 wrote: Sun Nov 05, 2023 5:36 pm Does anyone have a reliable source for these connectors? There are two on the fuse panel board in the 330 GTC.

Thanks,
KevinIMG_3463.jpeg
Hello Kevin.,

By the early 1963 cars ? , this connectors were made out of bakelite .

These newer connectors ( plastic) can be found in every DIY electric shop a standard article in EU.

Or google under. : Lüsterklemmen diffetant sizes 2,5 mm 4.5 mm 7,5 mm (square mm)

and cost nothing 2-3 €

Best

C.
Attachments
luster-terminal-12-pin-1-5-2-5-mm2.jpg
Michael Greenspan

Here is a photo of one that was in my electric junk box. It is 1.5 cm across
IMG_0359.jpeg
Fasthound330

Post by Fasthound330 »

Thanks for the info and for the offer to pick up in Europe and send to me. Very generous offer and much appreciated.

I think I’m going to go with this connector. It will handle 60 amps which is more than the alternator can generate so a significant safety factor (I’m an engineer…I live for safety factors :lol: ).

https://www.molex.com/en-us/products/pa ... isplay=pdf

Not sure I can find this in stock in black, but I’m not in a rush, so I can order it and if it's on back order, so be it.

Thanks again.
1967 330 GTC s/n 9911
Fasthound330

Post by Fasthound330 »

Well, I can’t seem to get a response from Molex. First they tell me they don’t make these strips anymore. I point them to their own website and then they say, “Oh, I didn’t see that. Contact a distributor.” So, I try to contact a distributor. The Molex website is a mess in terms of bad links, etc. So I finally find a list of distributors, and try to reach out to them. Like sending radio waves blindly into space.

I have a couple of parts suppliers trying to get me the correct sizes, but so far no luck. One source indicates they may have a contact in Italy that can supply the original Bakelite version. We’ll see if that pans out.

In the meantime, yes, Michael, if you are still in Europe and are still willing to stop by a hardware store, I’d gladly take you up on your offer. My only request is a black strip that can handle more than 40 amps per connection. Of course I’ll happily reimburse you for parts/shipping once you are back home.

I can’t believe finding this part is so difficult, but such is life when dealing with cars of this vintage. It’s a fun challenge to keep these lovely old cars in good shape.

Thanks,
Kevin
1967 330 GTC s/n 9911
Michael Greenspan

I am still in Paris. The piece I showed you is with the the stuff to bring back. I will walk over to BHV (a department with a great hardware section on the basement) to see if these strips come in different sizes. What is the width of the Bakelite strip you have. I am not sure if they are sold by amperage capacity but let’s see what I find. You are more than welcome to pay for the shipping - nah, that’s not in the spirit of the group. I’Ll be more than happy to send them once I am back in CT which should be by Monday the 20th. I will do some photos after I visit BHV.

Michael
Fasthound330

Post by Fasthound330 »

Thanks Michael! Believe it or not, the width of the strip is 27mm. I measured it with two different scales and a micrometer….exactly 27mm. Kind of big, I guess (?), but it’s got 40 amps running through it and the wire from the alternator is pretty big. At least 12 gauge, maybe 10?

One of the usual Ferrari parts sources found ONE strip of (likely) what is on the car, but it’s the last one, and they’re asking $395 (!!!!) for it. No one has the old bakelite version any longer…no surprise there.

If you can find something, great! And if not, no worries. I really appreciate you trying to do this for me. And my wife is jealous that you’re in Paris!! :lol:

Thank you!

Cheers,
Kevin
1967 330 GTC s/n 9911
Rob330

Post by Rob330 »

I think I got one of those from Tom Vail, it came in a strip you can cut a section off.

Ask for David, maybe he remembers if he has more.

Rob
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

Are you trying to replace a missing one or one that is giving you trouble? These junction blocks are very troublesome, but can be easily cleaned up to function well. The many different metals in them cause these connections to lose conductivity and heat up.
Michael Greenspan

Here is what I will send to you when we return.

PM your address please

Michael
Attachments
IMG_2944.jpeg
Fasthound330

Post by Fasthound330 »

Michael - Wow! Looks perfect. Thank you so much! PM to follow.
1967 330 GTC s/n 9911
Fasthound330

Post by Fasthound330 »

Jimmyr - I’m going to replace one that melted. Top picture in this thread shows what needs replacing. Luckily the connection still works fine, but I want to replace it with a new terminal block. And thanks to Michael, I’ll be able to replace it with a terminal strip/block that should be a perfect match. I love that we all try to help one another on this site. And not all the “interesting” BS that so often happens on FChat. Thanks to Tom Yang for this site.
1967 330 GTC s/n 9911
Michael Greenspan

In case anyone else will need one, I am sending a strip to Tom Yang for his “stash”

Michael