What spark plugs are you guys using?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Matt F

What spark plugs are you guys using?

Post by Matt F »

I'm looking for recommendations on what spark plugs to use in Ferrari V-12s.

The owners manual recommends Marchal Type 34 HF. Those are a little hard to find in my neighborhood. What do you guys use instead?

Thanks in advance,

Matt
Sleeper

Post by Sleeper »

NGK makes plugs that are usable for vintage ferrari. Check out compatibility.
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

The last time I checked, the 330 GTC was still in the Pep Boys spark plug cross refrence guide.

If you are not tracking your car and not driving to the limit, you can use plugs that are one or two numbers hotter, it will help with plug fouling.

Regards,

Art S.
Deane

Post by Deane »

Last time I checked, NGK's site had the wrong plug listed for 330's.

NGK BP6ES (standard tip) or BP6EV (palladium tip) work well if you have resistor plug wires. If you're running solid metal wires (like "Packard 440" - a.ka. A-C Delco 440), you could use BPR6ES, which have a built-in resistor and also work fine.

NGK's new numbers for these plugs are 7333 and 7131

"6" is about the right heat range plug for sunday morning drives. If you're an autobahn guy, you might want to go to a cooler "7".
Deane
'67 330GTS (gone but not forgotten)
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

NGK BPR6ES, .028" gap. 1964 330 2+2 runs great around town.
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

Thanks, guys, for the responses.

Deane, is there any problem in running resistor wires and resistor plugs?

BlueCat, are you using the Porsche-spec 0.028" gap instead of the Ferrari spec'd 0.025" gap? Do you think that the 0.003" makes a difference? Either way, running great around town sounds good to me.

Thanks again,

Matt
Deane

Post by Deane »

Matt,

I wouldn't expect a problem using [i]both[/i] resistor wires and plugs. But our old point-ignition systems are probably working hard enough already, so I'd go with one or the other. I like the solid core wire and resistor plug combination , as the metal core wire holds up better to handling than the ususal resistor core stuff. In particular, with metal-core wire, you can solder on a Rajah terminal or screw on a Bosch resistor-boot for a very secure connection at the plug end. And you know you'll be in there fiddling with the wires, sooner or later!
Deane
'67 330GTS (gone but not forgotten)
67GTC

RE BP6ES

Post by 67GTC »

Matt:

I installed the BP6ES in my 67 GTC several hundered miles ago and have had a good experience with the plugs. The smaller center electrode is supposed to be less prone to fouling...

Chuck McCreight
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

Matt:

.028" gap setting is per my mechanic's advice. I've got the packard 440 wires with screw on connector boots.

There was a thread on the subject of wires, plugs, etc., here not long before you got your car.
horner

Post by horner »

See if this thread works to connect to a spark discussion for 330 GT 2+2's on the FCA site w/ comments by Bill Badurski, their Chief Technical correspondent.

http://www.ferrariclubofamerica.org/fus ... readid=267
Jack Horner, 1966 330 GT 2+2 Series II, s/n 8325 (x-1981 Mondial 8, s/n 36213)
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

horner wrote:See if this thread works to connect to a spark discussion for 330 GT 2+2's on the FCA site w/ comments by Bill Badurski, their Chief Technical correspondent.

http://www.ferrariclubofamerica.org/fus ... readid=267
Perfect, horner. Thank you very much!!
Jim

Post by Jim »

Hey Guys,

After reading this thread and the referred thread, I took Mr. Burdiski's recommendation and bought 14 NGK7EVX's from monarchproductsinc.com. Monarch called me today to inform me that NGK is discontinuing this plug (platinum tip), and substituting a resistor plug.

So, what's the consensus for the plugs for the 209 motor?

Jim
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

The NGK BPR6ES still seem to be working real well. Since my last post on this subject Iv'e tried using some lead additive, again per mechanic advice, to slow down valve guide wear and have not had any consequent fouling in around town Dallas heavy traffic.
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

I bought a set of BPR6ES from Monarch. The previous plugs were 7's, and it definitely needed a hotter plug. The car now starts and runs great. I'll drive with them for a while, and at the next spark plug change, I'm going to replace them with platinum versions.

If you haven't replaced spark plugs on a vintage V-12 before (I certainly hadn't), here are a couple of pointers I learned along the way:

--Start with the passenger side front. The steering column gets in the way on the opposite side, and the battery box gets in the way on the passenger side towards the rear of the car. Start with plugs that don't have these obstacles until you get a good feel for where the plugs are located.

--Hand thread each plug as far as it will go in order to avoid damaging the threads.

--Put your used plugs in some sort of organizer. (I used half of an empty case of beer.) That allows you to keep track of each plug, and also provides a visual snapshot of the condition of the engine. If one plugs unusually oily or sooty, you'll want to know which cylinder it came from.

--Remove the screw tip on the plugs. It took me an embarrassingly long time to figure out why the boot wouldn't fit back over the spark plugs!

--Matt
Dr. Ian Levy

What spark plugs are you guys using

Post by Dr. Ian Levy »

Hello Matt
Get the Snap On ball joint swivel plug socket
Part number is S9709KB for the small plugs(5/8") or S9710KB (13/16")for the larger ones.
It makes a tricky job that much easier & is well worth the cost
Regards
Ian L
Manchester
UK