A question for the Gurus on body panels

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

rschmoll

A question for the Gurus on body panels

Post by rschmoll »

Can anyone tell me the gauge or thickness of the alloy body panels on your GTEs’? Does this vary? Also, (I know I may be pushing my luck but you guys are smart) what alloy grade is used in making these panels?

Tom, what gauge did you use for restoring your rear splash shields?

Thanks,
Ron
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Ron,

I'm not familier enough with aluminum or sheetmetal to tell you what gauge I used. I often pick up scraps that seem thick enough, and use what's handy. One person that has worked with Ferrari Bodywork that should be able to give you an answer is the "Tinman:"
http://www.tinmantech.com/

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
67GTC

RE: Alloy Questions

Post by 67GTC »

I attended a shop tour put on by the Maserati (TMC) club this past Saturday. The venue was Beckman Metalworks in Costa Mesa, CA. They have restored numerous vintage Ferraris, and are in the process of finishing a complete rebody of a 375MM that was almost completely destroyed in the 50's.

Steve Beckman's number is 949-574-2557. If anyone can answer your questions, he can.

67GTC
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

Hi Ron.

Why do you ask? Are you intersted in creating a patch panel, or are you simply curious?

I believe all alloy Ferrari panels are fairly pure Aluminum. If you're looking for a modern equivelent, I'd say it's 1100. If you're looking to actually make patch panels, I'd use 3003 and weld it with 1100 rod.

I would think that GTEs used 0.060" or so thick aluminum. Racing Ferraris of the same period used aluminum as thin as 0.040", which was lighter but much more easily dented.

The thickness of the metal will indeed vary, but only because of the shrinking and stretching that went into forming the curves of the body.

--Matt
330GT

Post by 330GT »

When I made the two missig splash panels, I measured the original ones on my 330 GT and they were .050" aluminum. I ended up using .040" because the thinner gauge was much easier to work into the complex shapes of the panels.

I've never measured the thickness of either the trunk lid or hood. When I get home tomorrow, I'll see if there's place where it can be measured, i.e. where the caliper head can be fit in.

Regards, Kerry
rschmoll

Body Panels

Post by rschmoll »

Thanks for the input, guys.

Matt, I am compiling an informational database to build a scale model. It’s funny that a lot of this information is not available from the usual sources when you think everything through.

The model I intend on building will be scaled as accurately as possible. (including body panel thickness) I know it’s a tremendous undertaking so it also qualifies as a labor of love.

With respect to Yale on etiquette, I do not own a Ferrari but have a semi-respectable inventory of parts for a Ferrari 250 engine. Mostly these parts are going to be used to provide accurate measurements in building the scale model. However, I do fully intend on taking the leap into a restoration project in the next 24 months.

-Ron
Yale

Post by Yale »

Geez I wouldn't want anyone to feel that I was saying that owning or not owning a Ferrari is necessary to be involved with the discussions here. I intended my comment towards those who chuck in a for sale item or those folks who, having never introduced themselves or written before, say one line like "I need a dohicky for my Testa Rossa." It is a discussion board and it's at it's best when we have discussions.

Best, Yale