small rust hole

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

67veloce

small rust hole

Post by 67veloce »

I havent posted much but constantly read post to figure stuff out. I recently took all my shocks off (67 330gt 8861) and sent them to koni. While doing this I found a dime size rust hole from back of rear wheelwell to trunk. Im sure you guys have fixed stuff like this. whats the process. I want to get it all taken care of before my shocks get back. Thanks Ken
fuiszt

Post by fuiszt »

Looks like no one wants to talk about a rust hole... my only advice would be to take a picture of the hole before you repair it. that way some future owner can see that you really mean a dime-sized hole and not a giant hole that might allow contents of the trunk to spill onto the road. I would guess the method would depend mostly on whether you're taking the "as new" approach or the practical hobbyist approach. I don't think that part of the car is structural, so treating the rust and using a fiberglass patch is probably the easiest. Rivetting a patch on next or welding a patch last.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Ken,

Dime sized holes usually turn out to be much larger holes when you remove all the loose rust.

Do you know how to weld? Anything else will be temporary and may trap more moisture causing the rust to continue.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
330GT

Post by 330GT »

One thing to keep in mind in a 2HL 330 GT is that there's supposed to be an overflow hose that goes from the cup surrounding the gas filler pipe to a hole in the forward part of the left wheel well. So your 'rust' hole might be just missing the overflow hose!

BTW, I've seen one car with the hose missing (and the hole welded up). The owner couldn't figure out how you were supposed to gas the car w/o getting some overflow in the trunk as it likes to spit up when being fueled.

Regards, Kerry
fuiszt

Post by fuiszt »

I suppose it goes without saying to avoid the gas tank when welding in this area...