Windshield Rubber

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Adam M

Windshield Rubber

Post by Adam M »

I was just wondering Tom, whether you felt making your own windshield rubber was an avenue you might consider pursuing again on any future projects. Or do you think the extra cost of getting one that "should" fit first go is worth the reduced stress of windshield fitment. Does anyone else have experience in this area, on any classic which may have difficult to source rubbers?

Adam
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Adam,

I ended up going with a windshield gasket from Lyle Tanner:
http://www.ferraripartsexchange.com/
Although Francois has made gaskets from the profile from Metro, it obviously has problems fitting a GTE. We believe the problem lies with various factors from the chrome moulding thickness to the hand made nature of these cars. When you consider the amount of time spent trying to fit the "home-made" gasket, and the 30 minutes it took took fit Tanner's, $360 bucks almost seems like money well spent!

Tom
lukek

re: winshield rubber

Post by lukek »

Tom Shaugnessy just sold me a gasket (I think it was in the $200-something range). I have to clean the messy white residue left from the mold, but I think it is the correct one. I am not sure whether he has more, call him at his San Clemente place: E-Mail: GT40MIrage@aol.com
Work: 949 378 8405. I recently swapped some horns with him (mine were incorrect), so please say hi.
My insurance paid for a new winshield (it was damaged during my car's transport), so I plan to just get a new one, but in the meantime, I ordered a glass polishing kit from JCWhitney (a buffing wheel and a secret compound), as well as a chip repair kit. I will either make the wiper smears worse, and make the chip spread, or I can get a temporary cosmetic improvement for a total of $31.29.

luke, 250 GTE, #4823
M.Plechaty

GTE windshield rubber gasket

Post by M.Plechaty »

I purchased a new rubber gasket from Ted Rutland. His was the best price (at the time, anyway). The fit seems to be good, although we struggled and struggled before figuring out the metal moulding goes in the gasket before installing the whole assembly in the GTE, and not after. Duhhh.

At some point during the installation-removal to put the moulding in the gasket-reinstallation process, however, we managed to delaminate the upper right corner of the rubber gasket, so there is about an 1/8" gap there when the assembly is in place. I can fill the gap with some black windshield sealer, but it will be difficult to make the installation look good.

What is used to bond the rubber corners together? It must be some sort of super contact cement or some sort of chemical bonding. Any suggestions? I am even considering taking the windshield out (again) if I can figure out how to repair the gasket joint. Common old contact cement doesn't begin to be strong ehough.

Thanks.

Mike P.
buddy

Post by buddy »

HAD GOOD LUCK WITH TED RUTLAND AND THE FRONT WINDSHIELD GASKET , PERFECT FIT ALTHOUGH IT REQUIRED SOME DUM DUM IN THE CORNERS , THEY ARE HAND MADE CARS ! BUDDY #9667