Has anyone tried electronic distributor conversions?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Matt F

Has anyone tried electronic distributor conversions?

Post by Matt F »

I posted this question in Ferrarichat. I probably should have posted it here first. (I think that the crew here at Tom's board gives better, more informed answers.) Regardless, here's my question:

My nearside distributor seems to be making a clicking noise. I haven't checked inside it yet, but I'm thinking that because this car is a real driver, I should update the distributor to modern technology.

So I have two questions:

1) What could cause an audible clicking from the distributor? What Ferrari-specific things should I know before I take the caps off and look around?

2) Who has gone electronic? What "e-guts" did you choose, and why? How was the installation? If you have any other tips, I'd sure appreciate them.

Thanks in advance,

Matt
Sleeper

Post by Sleeper »

I would take a look inside the cap and see what is going on.
I would leave the thing stock ( my personal opinion ) thats the way the car was built, and I am after the real thing. In vintage cars the excitement is in them being vintage.
fest

nearside

Post by fest »

from the reference to 'nearside' distributor
(not to mention 'fchat' reference)
are we to infer this is a V8 application?

if Y:

I would tend to advocate the switch to electronic ignition
preferably with later model OE parts from a Euro version
(single Electronic Distributor)

if this will not work for your application
then I am under the impression
that lots of aftermarket (V8) stuff is available -
I would advocate cutting to the chase
and going to spark trigger / coil packs
(eliminate Distributor(s) all together)

just MHO

as for clicking sound
my car does it too (80 400i)
but I think it is the Alternator doing this
(internal Regulator?)
when the car is charging
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Fest, the engine is a Columbo V-12 with two distributors. Although because each one acts like a 6-cylinder distributor, I'm sure I can find a number of options, as you suggested.

I'll also follow sleeper's advice and look around under the cap this weekend. Is there anything Ferrari-specific I should know before I poke around under the cap?

I would still appreciate hearing from anyone who has installed electronic bits in their distributors.

Thanks again,

Matt
Bryan P

Post by Bryan P »

Matt - scroll down to the "distributor machine' thread and read to the end for the discussion on going electronic. that's a start, anyway.
67GTC

Post by 67GTC »

Hi Matt,

Do a search on "Pertronix 330 GTC ignition" on this site for details and pictures of Joel Benetar's electronic ignition conversion on a 330 GTC.

Chuck
67GTC
Joel Benatar

Post by Joel Benatar »

Hi
I had my 330 GTC converted to an electronic system. The car is performing increadible well. I have put on about 3000 km since the install. If there is any more info you need please contact me. As stated look up "Petronix 330 GTC" and this will bring up the contacts you need.
Thanks
Joel