Turn signal/headlamp/wiper column switch

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Art S.

Post by Art S. »

Leo,

Agreed. However, as stated before, don't hold your breath, I though I would have parts in a month two years ago.

Regards,

Art S.
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
horner

Post by horner »

I just ordered the headlamp stalk / turn signal stalk assembly from Ferrari UK. Price is GBP296.70 (~USD530) + shipping They have 9 left, but maybe not for long now that people on both side of the Pond know that they have them.

(44) 1784-486-260 {Direct}
jeff.howe@ferrari.co.uk
Jack Horner, 1966 330 GT 2+2 Series II, s/n 8325 (x-1981 Mondial 8, s/n 36213)
Leo

Post by Leo »

jack,
i noticed that you have a series ll. does your car have 2 or 3 stalks.? it was my understanding that Ferrari UK only had the 2 stalk switch.?
can you expand on that?

on another note, i spoke with Jeff yesterday and he said that the
tooling for the stalks is in place and that he would consult with
his colleagues and determine if they could sell the stalks alone!!
he told me to check back with him in a few weeks
horner

Post by horner »

Leo, point taken. Actually, just after I posted the above, I emailed and left a voicemail for Jeff Howe to make sure that this piece fits my 3 stalk. Theoretically the RH stalk fits in or under the assembly.

Why would they make the 2 stalk for LH if no cars have that exclusive set up? Do some models have 2 LH stalks, no RH stalk and have a button or dash switch for the wipers?

They claim that this is the part for my Series II car. They actually told me the part number based on my s/n without my "prompting" them. Hope they are right.
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

Jack,

My early series II has a series I dash: two left stalks, no right stalks and a dash mounted wiper knob.

Art S.
horner

Post by horner »

Just spoke to Jeff Howe at Ferrari UK. He is overnight shipping the part today w/ an open return, no questions asked policy.

Yesterday he took a photo of the part and sent it to me. Then this a.m. he double checked their system and the part was specifically remanufactured for replacement in 275 GTS and 330 GT Series II; and he emphasized Series II. I told him and Forumite "Leo" that I will be the USA guinea pig for this escapade.

Also, when I spoke w/ Paul Baber, 250 SWB Ltd, he said that his part is for the same application. If you look at side by side photos of Baber's NOS part and the Ferrari UK part, they are identical. All fine and well, and one can only hope it actually fits. LJH
horner

Post by horner »

Ugh! Help. Maybe I should ask the question differently, because I sense that many assume that these are all 3 stalk systems.

"Does anyone out there have a 330 GT Series II with only 2 stalks on the left side of the steering column?" "If so, what functions do the 2 stalks perform?"

I have #8325, 1966, with 3 stalks. I believe that "Leo" has #8657, 196?, with 3 stalks. Most posts to the forum appear to be from 3 stalkers looking for stalks &/or assemblies.

When I look at the Spare Parts Catalog, revised 1965, it shows 2 stalks, and a Vitaloni part number 400110. That is what Ferrari UK remanufactured and sent to me. They said it fits 275 GTS & 330 GT Series II. The Series I catalog shows 3 stalks and no part number(s) that I can discern. Maybe we can take the 2 LH stalks out of my new assembly and insert them where the originals are located, creating the 2 most expensive stalks in the post-Diluvian world.

Thanks for any clarification &/or correction. I'm going to the shop now to cringe. LJH
Leo

Post by Leo »

Jack,
sorry to hear about this; but a big thanks for being the guinea pig!
Art S. mentioned that he has an early series ll with 2 stalks and a
wiper switch on the dash. enio45 has 8289 and he has 3 stalks.
does anyone know when they switched over to the 3 set up???
the GTC parts book shows a 3 stalk switch and list this as
Vitaloni PR 2051. I "assume" that the later series ll cars, as well as
the 330 and 365GTC and GTS cars all have this set up. the 365GT 2+2
cars have another type of switch.
can you confirm that the 2 stalks that you have with the new switch
will retrofit with the 3 stalk set up?
Thanks again!!
Leo

Post by Leo »

Jack,
i think that the 3rd stalk in the very early cars and found in the
series l parts book is for the overdrive...can someone confirm?
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

Jack,

On my car, 7919, the stalks are: inner = turn signal; outer = dimmer switch.

I am using a dead 3 stalk unit as reference for the stalk bases in my repro efforts. I believe the left two stalks have the same bases for both 2 and 3 stalk units, but I'm only 95% certain.

Out of curiosity, what does the right hand stalk control on non OD cars?

Art S.
Leo

Post by Leo »

hi art,
on the non overdrive cars, the right hand stalk is for the
windshield wipers and the washers.
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

Thanks Leo,

My wiper switch on mine is dash mounted but I don't have a washer assembly.

Does anyone know what type of washer assembly I need? I have the nozzles but not much else.

Art S. 7919
horner

Post by horner »

Leo, Art S., & the Gang:

If we put all the posts together, I think that we answered most of the questions (except Art S.'s Washer assembly). The nut of it seems to be that we need someone to reproduce the 3 different stalks. The base assemblies with contact points where the wires attach appear more durable, though a few replacements are probably needed. Both Ferrari UK & Algar have the 2 stalk entire assemblies.

If there were ~1000 330 GT's, 600 GTC's, 100 GTS's, some 275's all using similar stalks for similar purposes in different configurations, & if only 40% survive, there must be a viable economy in producing the stalks. By these posts & others we can observe that the stalks broke, are breaking, and will break. "Leo" & I have planted the economic thought in Jeff Howe's head at Ferrari UK.

Art S., maybe your buddy can beat them to it. I'll bet that the current suppliers of vintage Ferrari parts have a bid for stocking the items.

My 3rd stalk, RH column-side, wiper/washer, is original and unbroken. Today, I hope, we will attempt to remove the 2 LH stalks from the assembly that Ferrari UK sent to me, and fit them to my assembly. As I said earlier, that makes for 2 very expensive stalks, if they work.

Tom Yang, you have my deepest admiration for doing an ENTIRE car!

LJH
horner

Post by horner »

The GOOD news: they took the recently acquired remanufactured 2 stalk assembly apart, found that the contact patches match my 2 LH stalks.

Next removed the broken old stalks from my current assembly.

Removed 2 new stalks from their assembly (yes, it comes apart).

Put new stalks in my old assembly, yes, Kerry, even forewarned, the little ball bearings shot all over the interior, but recovered.

Checked and lubricated everything. Put old assembly back together AND ... LIGHTS, CAMERA, ACTION!!!

Replaced steering wheel, etc.

Kerry, they said to tell you to make sure that when you made that nut adapter that you don't overtighten as it can cause excess wear in the steering column bearings.

NOW, the BAD news: The 2 new stalks are the old kind, smooth to the touch & sight. They do not have the little "finger indents". Saving old ones. So I have the RH wiper stalk in original fashion and the 2 LH appearing as on previous cars.

That still leaves us on a quest to have someone manufacture the later model stalks. We now know that from a functional standpoint they are compatible. By the way, next to my car was a 275 GTB, and guess what ...it has the exact same 3 stalk assembly as mine! So there must be a market for these.

Remember these 2 stalks, because I had to purchase the entire assembly, and not even matching exactly, cost $535. (Well, those following this thread know that someone else is paying.)

Also, the remanf'd part arrived with wires whose soldered contact with the back of the assembly were loose or disconnected, and the plastic housing was chipped. Had I needed the actual piece I would have returned it for one in better condition.

Any questions, please contact me.

Your humble guinea pig, still seeking correct stalks,
LJH
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

Jack,

You should be able to remove the stalks from your old unit and mount them on new bases (I'd do this with the unit on a bench rather than mounted).

Have you considered this?

Art S.