Need Steering Box for 330 America

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

330 America

Need Steering Box for 330 America

Post by 330 America »

Gents,

Its been a while since I've been on the forum, but I finally got Texas license plates ("La Vita") on my 330 America in late April and have put about 500 miles on the car. It drives nicely except for the annoying slop in the steering box. Its been "tightened" as much as possible and I've just $1500 on inner/outer tie-rod ends, bushings, alignment (the works) on the front suspension and the shocks are good to ensure that any issues there were simultaneously addressed. If I can solve the steering problem, then I think I can say that the car is mechanically pretty solid (electric clock even works like a charm).

I'd be grateful if anyone knows of a solid NOS or rebuilt steering box option for me to purchase.

Thanks
Steve Patti
Ferrari 330 Americ (5061) - SOLD
1988 Porsche 944 Rothmans Turbo Cup (ex-Bill Adam)
1988 Porsche 944 Rothmans Turbo Cup (7UP guest car)
Yale

Post by Yale »

Steve I have heard that you can take the box apart and flip around where there is a common dead spot in one of the gears to a spot that is good.

Now, granted this was told to me by Frank at Domenicks as something his 80 year old Italian mechanic father did to his Series 2 330 and also mentioned it was a time consuming job. I find that the folks at Domenicks try to cobble stuff together but I also know that you will be shocked and awed by the steering box prices plus the fact that how can you be sure of the efficacy of some 50 year old box taken off another car.

Best,

Yale