Concorso Italiano - Pebble Beach

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Joel Benatar

Concorso Italiano - Pebble Beach

Post by Joel Benatar »

Hi all
Planning the trip for August and would like to get some feed back as to the Concoro Italiano day. Last year it was split. Any comments on which one is better. Where will Ferrari have their main event as they are the hosts this year. If I am correct there is the Quail Lodge and the Black horse events.
Please comment
Joel
67 330 GTC Serial 9055
Keith Milne

Post by Keith Milne »

Joel,
I cannot comment on the Concorso, because I did not attend last year. However, the people I talked to were clearly split. The were a lot of logistic problems, and when I drove by later in the afternoon, the traffic was a nightmare. I was invited to bring my 57 Ace Bristol race car to the Motorsports Gathering at the Quail lodge, held the same day. This is a low key, but elegant event put on by my good friend, Gordon McCall. Although it is by no means an Italian only event, I found it to be a nice alernative to the crowds at the Concorso. The quality of the cars was first rate and I know there are other activities planned for this year. Pebble Beach is . . . well . . . Pebble Beach, but does not conflict with the Friday events as it is on Sunday. The FCA activities are all following the Monterey weekend.

Keith
xs10shl

Post by xs10shl »

Last year's Concorso was a nightmare to get to (they claim they've sorted it this year), but the event itself was fun. Amongst the rows of newer cars were quite a few 60's gems, I thought - more than I've seen in recent memory. But I did hear that last year's Quail lodge event was quite good, with even rarer cars.

My expectation is that there will be a crush of enthusiasts at both events this year, because the Quail Lodge secret is out. I'm going to pay extra for a good parking space at Concorso, and try to make all Friday's events - Concorso in the morning, Quail Lodge in the afternoon, Bonhams in the late afternoon, and RM in the evening.

I may even be persuaded to show my very rare 2000 Toyota Landcuiser (one of only 16,000 imported in 1999) at the Concorso Corral - The Corral is unquestionably the best parking spot at the event, and well worth the price!
Enzo250GTO

Post by Enzo250GTO »

xs10shl wrote:I may even be persuaded to show my very rare 2000 Toyota Landcuiser (one of only 16,000 imported in 1999) at the Concorso Corral - The Corral is unquestionably the best parking spot at the event, and well worth the price!
What is the price?
67GTC

RE: Concourso

Post by 67GTC »

Hi Joel,

There were a few glitches last year at CI, but based on the emails I've been receiving from CI management, they've got the infrastructure in place to correct last year's problems.

I'll have my 67 GTC on the grass there in August. It would be great to see yours there as well.

Chuck
67GTC
1967 330 GTC
S/N: 10539
330GT

Post by 330GT »

For those planning on attending CI, the exhibitor 'cheap' rate ($50) ends tomorrow (5/31). See http://www.concorso.com for further information.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
enio45

Going to the Show??

Post by enio45 »

Hi all, last year we had a nice opportunity to meet a number of you all from this site at the show and at Tom's small party in his hotel room. My wife are planning to attend this year again.....do we have a list of folks coming so maybe we we can meet again?
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
tyang

Post by tyang »

Here's the scoop. Yes, I will be there. Yes there will be a tomyang.net party on Thursday night. The big news, however, is Tom Shaugnessy has offered the use of an outdoor space at his Motel to host it. He was at last years, and felt we could use more space than my little motel room. The details will follow!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
Enzo250GTO

Post by Enzo250GTO »

Do you have to be an owner to attend?
tyang

Post by tyang »

Do you have to be an owner to attend?
All you have to possess to come to the party is the enthusiasm for old Ferraris!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
eve23

Post by eve23 »

i was at concourso a couple of years ago and really was blown away by the amount of enthusiasm and cars.....it was wonderful....

this was when concourso was at quail ...i'm glad i missed last year which sounded like a nightmare...there is a new owner this year so it will be interesting to see what bugs they were able to clear out.....

a must is the rolex laguna seca historics races....go and really get into what its like behind the scenes in the pits where the real action is....

when i went because i always wait till the last minute i flew into san jose and drove the 2 hours to a motel just outside of the mayhem...infact in was 10 mins from laguna seca....

this year i am trying to convince my wife to join me and would like to stay closer to the center of all the action......

are there any suggestions as to where would be a good place to make home base???

eddie
David Booth

Post by David Booth »

Monterey and Pacific Grove are right in the midst of the action, but you can probably forget trying to get a room in the middle of things now. With Ferrari being the featured marque this year, it will likely be the highest attendance ever. The good news is that you can use Expedia or some other service to check quickly, but don't count on getting close-in.

Props to Tom Shaughnessy for offering the use of his place. He was probably sore from spending all evening sitting on Tom's dresser last year.
1960 SII PF cabriolet #2105GT
1963 250GTE #4799GT with 330 America engine #5033GT

"...Luigi follow only the Ferraris.."
Keith Milne

Post by Keith Milne »

I agree - the Monterey peninsula is sold out right now, from what I understand. Most of the larger hotels are requiring a three or four night minimum stay - and they are all expensive (300-375/night). Typically I wait until a day or two before the event and call for cancellations. It usually works, but I may opt to drive back and forth from Santa Cruz this year. You may also want to consider Santa Cruz as an alternative for lodging. Its a nice (albiet somewhat weird) town about 50 minutes north of Monterey on Hwy 1.

Keith
Deane

Post by Deane »

Santa Cruz weird? You must not be smoking enough!
Deane
'67 330GTS (gone but not forgotten)
Keith Milne

Post by Keith Milne »

[quote="Deane"]Santa Cruz weird? You must not be smoking enough![/quote]

You may be right! There is even a t-shirt here that says "Keep Santa Cruz Weird".