Valve adjustment procedure

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Matt F

Valve adjustment procedure

Post by Matt F »

Hello, folks.

One of my longer-term projects is to check and adjust my 330's valves. Does anyone have any photographs of the procedure, or any tips or tricks? I have the Gerald L. Roush / John R. Apen tune up guidebook, as well as Allen S. Bishop's guide to performance. Between the two, I think I've got a decent understand of what to do, but pictures would definitely help!

Thanks in advance,

Matt
Sleeper

Post by Sleeper »

Pictures are not going to help. The feel of a proper adjustment will.
I would be embarassed to say how long I spent on a valve adjustment on my 250GT.
Bill
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Matt,

Valve adjustment is not a big deal but taking things off and puting them back on is. Going by the Apen manual should be enough. Watch out for the typos.

Try not to turn the engine over with the starter, instead use the nut at the front end of the crankshaft. If the car's crankshaft is not exposed like the 250 engines, then put the car in fourth gear and turn the rear wheel. It would help to remove the spark plugs and lock te other rear wheel (so it dosen't turn the opposite direction).

Good luck.

john
PF Coupe
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

When doing the valve adjustment, always take the time to completely remove the adjuster screw and inspect the tip for damage. If there is anything but a smooth curved surface, replace it. Remove the screw only when the cam is in position to adjust the lash. After all is done, RECHECK all of the lash one more time, to be sure is to be right. Jim Riff
xs10shl

Post by xs10shl »

Also be careful not to strip the cam cover studs when retightening the cover. The studs are screwed into the aluminum head, and with a little tightening effort on your part, they'll completely strip, and you'll be able to happily "tighten" your cam cover nuts ad infinitum. After a minute or so of screwing, you'll realise your mistake, and then it's time for timeserts.
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

I read an article about the adjuster screws being mentioned here. Apparently if they are replaced it is critical that the correct hardness be used. The article mentioned extremely rapid wear of adjuster that was not in the proper range of hardness being an aftermarket product. Perhaps the correct ones are available now, but before I would replace any, I would be certain that they meet the specs required. Adjusting the valve clearances is on my "to do" list as well.

Regards,

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

The incorrectly heat treated adjuster screws were made by some aftermarket company in the 80's, and sold to various parts houses. Today the reliable parts guys have a tested product available. The batches of incorrect screws have been dumped at various flea market operations and are mostly gone by now. Contact the big parts houses like Algar, GT Car Parts, Rutlands, Marnello Parts, etc., and always ask are these the tested parts. You could always have them Rockwell tested if you are unsure, but this is a last resort. Jim Riff