Reliability

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Art S.

Post by Art S. »

Mine clock isn't always right twice a day because it occasionally starts and runs for a while. I'm pretty sure I have a wiring problem. Probably the same reason that my power antenna is not retracting.

I believe the reason the clocks are unreliable is because the escapement is electromechanical rather than the winding mechanism.

Does anyone know if the antenna motor and clock are on the same circuit, or is the antenna powered through the radio?

Thanks,

Art S.
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
judge4re

Post by judge4re »

My 365 sat at a Ferrari dealership for sale for 6 months. It was more or less running when I bought it and only reliable to drive anywhere/anytime for the last 3 years. Problems with it were in one of two categories: deferred maintenance or faulty maintenance. Once I found a mechanic that knew what he was doing, we've kept the car fairly reliable so much so that I drove it on my honeymoon for something like 600 miles, tracked it for 2 days at Roebling Road, showed it at Savahanna, then drove home. The only time I worried was stuck in bumper to bumper traffic in Atlanta in 95F weather. She got warm, but we made it home with no problems. The car is in a sitting phase again (we're in China for 2 years on assignment), but my mechanic has started a mechanical restoration (with most parts coming from Ferrari UK). Not sure if I want to recover the dash and put new carpets in it, I still like patina.

We also just bought a Mondial 8 for my wife (but she still wants a Jeep Grand Cherokee for everyday use) and I have a Carrera 4 that my wife's step father wants. I am planning on selling the P-bug to him and get a 308 to drive every day. I figure between 3 classic Ferraris, I should be able to get to and from work and use them the way they were meant to be used.

I understand the problems with MB products in that I sold my 500 SEL at the beginning of the year. That car was more costly to maintain than the 365. Even the parts were more expensive.

You only live once and its Ferraris for me for the rest of mine. I may be nuts, but I am enjoying it.
365 GT4 2+2 (18759)
Mondial 8 (39343)
308 GTS QV (47071)
67GTC

Definitely Check your fuel system!

Post by 67GTC »

I scond Tom's comments earlier in this thread about checking the gas tank and associated hoses in these older cars. I was on a driving event this past weekend and started smelling strong gas fumes. When I got the car home and the trunk taken apart, I found that the fuel filler hose was so deteriorated that the rubber on the inside and outside had flaked away leaving a thumb-sized hole in the hose. When filling the car, I was also spraying about an inch of gas into the trunk pan as well. Now I'm looking at the two short rubber hoses that connect the cross pipe between the two tanks - they look a bit dry...

Chuck
1967 330 GTC
S/N: 10539
David Smith

Post by David Smith »

It is important to check the cross pipe hoses between the tanks. I had one break apart in my hand when starting to remove the tanks from the trunk.
1967 330 GTC #9313
Stephanm

Post by Stephanm »

I think many older Ferraris suffer from absolute junk that was supplied to them from vendors. I have never seen a Holly carburetor with worn throttle shafts, however I have seen 40,000 mile 275's, 250 and such with throttle shafts that were about to fall out. I think that Marwlli is far worse that Lucas. Also has anyons seen a "short pinion" 250 axle last for more than 30,000 miles. Ford axles last until they run short of oil and are driven for another 30,000 miles. The race cars were made from much higher quality stuff, Valve guides and seats, pistons and rings, bearings, on and on. There is no comparison. I love Ferraris and my favorite car is the one I drive to and from work almost every day, a Queen mother that needs synchros again after 15,000 miles!

Sorry guys to be the devils advocate.
:twisted:
Yale

Post by Yale »

So the suppliers of Ferrari synchros for the passenger cars were different then for the race cars? I thought the point was that the race cars and road cars were made of the same stock, hence the aura? Aren't the transmissions the same? Can you get the uprated race car synchros? Why wouldn't they be the new standard?

Or could the aftermarket or current suppliers for these parts be sub-standard? Aren't there improved valve guides, pistons, valves?

This all comes back to my plea for a parts database where people could see parts, suppliers, prices, and peoples experiences.

Thanks.

Yale
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

Yale wrote:So the suppliers of Ferrari synchros for the passenger cars were different then for the race cars?
The race cars had no synchros.