a vintage AND a modern Ferrari?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

lukek

a vintage AND a modern Ferrari?

Post by lukek »

Who has this set up?
I have a 250 GTE, but I have recently been afflicted with AAS, Automobile Acquisition Syndrome. A lot of times, the GTE does not get to go out because of the time it takes to warm up, no A/C, or on a particular day, I do not want to smell exhaust, gas, or watch the gauges like a hawk. I do own an everyday driver, a little leased A4, so I take it on the "cannot be bothered" occasions. I do wander if I could find some middle ground, perhaps a fuel injected 348 or a Testarossa (I am looking at a few of the breed, as they seem to be in my budget, although both early examples).
I am your average salary man, so I am extending myself a bit to have 2 toys, but both would be almost fully depreciated, with the GTE gaining as of late, so... any obligations could be met by selling the cars.
Maybe with the news of an impending summer cataclysm I want to live a little, or I simply have some perfect consumer acquisition gene, but I think I want (I do not need) a nice mid engine Ferrari....
I would have to let my Alfa go, the most expensive, overrestored, and hopped up salvage titled 74 Spider (theft recovery). It is more about garage space than finances, but I have owned it for 12 years. I would keep the driver Audi, so I am not thinking the Fi Ferrari would replace an everyday driver. I know the parts would be cheaper than for the V12, but who can relate to the intangibles of owning both?
Ruminations?

luke, CA
Ex 1963 Ferrari 250 GTE, 99 Modena 360, 11 Maserati QPorte S, 08 merc gl550, 67 Cadillac Coupe DeVille Convertible, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, 2006 MV Agusta Brutale S, 1991 Ducati 907i.e.
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

This is madness, pure madness! Go for it!

I think a 348 would be cheaper to maintain. Of course you would have to find one in matching colors to the GTE.

Art S.
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
330GT

Post by 330GT »

Luke, I sucumbed to the AAS last summer when I got a '78 308 GTS to complement my 330 GT. I had always lusted for a 'Magnum PI' car, but I also about thought having just another in the line of red 3x8s at a Ferrari event whereas the 330 always stands out.

However, last summer, Shaughnessey was brokering this car. When I talked to my wife about it, she asked if she should argue for or against getting it. What a wife to have! So I ended up getting it. A backup Ferrari is always useful. About a month ago, we were planning on taking the 330 to a FCA event on the Oregon coast (~500 miles round trip). However, a dragging brake pad had us driving back home after 30 miles and changing to the 'spare' car.

I picked the '78 because it was the last of the carb cars. No electronics, no gremlins, just 4 webers to tune up. It's a car that I can work on and not have to figure out if some sensor is causing a problem. I also don't have to worry about being stranded when some electronic thing breaks. It may run like crap, but it will get me home.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
donv

Post by donv »

I have a 456 to go with my 365 2+2. It is very nice to have a modern Ferrari as well, and I find the 456 is so friendly and capable to drive that I end up driving it a lot (almost a daily driver, but I don't like taking it to work).

A 348 would be good, I would also consider a Mondial t or a 3.2 Mondial. I had a 3.2 Mondial Cab for a while, and it was a lot of fun. I would make sure to get a good one-- mine was a beater, and it was not cheap in the long run! However, if you budget can swing a 348 you should be able to get an excellent Mondial.

A Mondial t has the 348 motor and a more practical, and for me comfortable, interior (I'm 6'4").

If you do much city driving, I would stay away from a Testarossa. They feel nice on the open road, but in the city are just to big, IMO. The Mondial is much smaller and more usable. My brother used to own a Testarossa, and commented on how much the Mondial seemed like a baby TR.
1969 365GT 2+2
lukek

Post by lukek »

I drove a Testarossa, and it did seem big. I live in a pretty crowded metro area (SF). I would love a 456, but I cannot lift my leg that high at the moment. I do feel like I have done the 308 thing, as I have owned a carb'd 308 GT4 before. On the Mondial, I got the spousal veto
:(
Just want something more modern, but still exotic. The 348 did fit me nicely, I refreshed my memory today. It does not, however, match my entirely gray/silver fleet of four.
I will report back on the outcome within a couple of weeks...In the meantime, who wants a perfectly good 74 Alfa Spider? I might throw it to the Ebay clowns...I have sold two cars that way, and had no issues, so why not.

Thanks for the ruminationions. much obliged !

luke
Ex 1963 Ferrari 250 GTE, 99 Modena 360, 11 Maserati QPorte S, 08 merc gl550, 67 Cadillac Coupe DeVille Convertible, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, 2006 MV Agusta Brutale S, 1991 Ducati 907i.e.
fest

modurn

Post by fest »

luke-

I would advocate the Bosch / Digiplex Route-
(you already have a Carb / Points car to fiddle with)
the 308 GTSi (or is it PI?) might be a good choice-
I personally would advocate a QV or even a 328 myself:
the 308i is just too anemic

(I went to look at a '89 328 GTS today, actually
but the owner was a serious Clown: so let him keep it)

I am considering the exotic for my 'significant other'
she likes the idea of a Ferrari
but
(you guys aint gonna like this, sorry)
I think I am going to steer her towards the NSX
AKB
~~~~~~~
400i SI 32635
lukek

Post by lukek »

Everybody tells me that the 328 is a "better" car/buy than the early 348, but I like the interior and the look of the latter. A guy at work even has a killer deal on a black one with only 20K miles (no more black cars for me, me thinks).
I might take a look at a 2002 Maser Coupe and see how they drive, could be a poor man's 456.....How much more could they depreciate? I like the idea of the cambiocorsa, despite it being buggy the first year.
It is fun to consider the possibilities.

(Fest, I have a good reference for NSXs, one of my buddies is a certifiable NSX maven, owns a very pretty dark blue one. There is something about women driving exotics....well, gentlemen do not talk...)
DBR330GT

Post by DBR330GT »

Hi everybody!

This is my first post here and I am a soon to be owner of a 330 GT 2+2. I have a deposit on one now.

Lukek, I am doing the opposite of you. I already own a more modern Ferrari, a 328 GTB and I am now moving to a vintage one. It is generally agreed that the 328 is the most reliable Ferrari-ever. I concur as virtually nothing goes wrong with mine and had 50,000 miles. I am aware that my 330 will frequently need stuff and it is nice to know the 328 will always be there in good working order. If hassle-free ownership is important, than go for a 328. I believe it is a perfect car.

Dan Reese
lukek

Post by lukek »

I am getting closer.... In order to clean house before another Fcar arrives I am letting the Alfa go....

My extremely over-restored and souped up 74 Spider is up for sale. Is it perfect? Nah. But after 12 years it is time to move on.

It is located in the SF Bay area, CA. I threw it to the Ebay clowns for a no reserve auction. It starts at $650. The market will tell me what it is worth.
Item # 2482236024, or
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 2482236024