Those Stuck Up Windshield Wipers

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Doug

Those Stuck Up Windshield Wipers

Post by Doug »

Hi Tom,

Your wipers are kinda high, but take a look at this 330's windshield. Same problem?

http://www.carclassic.com/images4/DB20/DB20-1.jpg

Doug
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Doug,

Yeah, They should "park" lower. Something is not right with ther motor, and is on the list of things I need to fix!

Tom
Deane

Wipers

Post by Deane »

Mine (330GTS) either park up there on the windshield, or I can set the arm to the next notch down: onto the lower windshield moulding.
330GT

Windshield wiper parking

Post by 330GT »

I found that on my 330 GT, either they park correctly and then they run off the bottom of the window when running if there's plenty of water on the windshield or stay on the windshield, but park high.

So I just let them park high and move them manually when I get out of the car.
Pete

Oh No, Sounds like a difficult problem ...

Post by Pete »

... or a typical Italian accessory problem, i.e. it does not make the car go any faster, thus the passion is spent elsewhere.

Does the wiper system have an actual stop position?

If it does and it does not always get to there, does this indicate a weak motor?, or slop in the system?

Is it a Lucas system?, one of those cable driven devices. Hopeless British design. Maybe the cable has a worn spot on it?

I am sure than Tom will fix it, and the passage he travels sounds like it will be VERY interesting to many other Ferrari owners.

Pete
tyang

Post by tyang »

The first problem with slow motors is from the hardening of the grease inside the gear mechanisms. Lucas used a grease that turns into a waxy substance, and gums up the works.

There's also a knurled adjustment screw at the top of the gearbox that has something to do with the park feature. When I had the wiper motor apart, it was apparently obvious, but now that it is back in the car, I need to see if I made notes as to how it works. I'm sure anyone familier with Lucas wiper motors can help.

I think my problem lies with this adjustment nut, and I need to find some time to pull it out and have a look at it.

Tom
horner

Windshield Wipers

Post by horner »

Tom, Mine also ride a bit high, but are not obstructive. Wet the windshield and turn them on and see how much they cover. If they cover very far to the left then move them about one notch on their stem. I think that is the easy solution unless you really think that there is something wrong with the wiper motor. Jack