Aviation Fuel

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Art S.

Post by Art S. »

Chuck,

You may not need your friend's help. When I drive my car to any small airport they gladly fill the Ferrari. Just make sure you attach the ground strap if filling from a truck!

Regards,

Art S.
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
JimB

Post by JimB »

Wow, all this talk about airplane gas. Av gas is a different animal and is not needed in our cars. Save your money and use 91 pump gas. The higher the octane the slower the burn rate. Aircraft engines have much larger piston diameters. The purpose of the high octane is to give the mixture time to completely burn. Our cars have pistons of about 77 mm dia. your aircraft engine that would require 130 octane has a diameter of about 6 plus inches. The BTU rating for 130 and 91 are the same, we are talking about burn rates. I was speaking with a petroleum engineer from Unocal once and he told me that we may not even need 91 to get the job done in our cars. Aircraft engines that require 100/130 or 115/145 are supercharged and have big pistons, hence the need.
Save your money, you won't go any faster. Buy some wax and increase your impression ratio instead.

Jim Burnett
Deane

Post by Deane »

An unmodified Tipo 209 engine has a factory compression ratio of 8.8:1 and might even run OK on mid-grade or regular gas, though I haven't tried.

Many mid-60's American engines had compression ratios in the 10.5:1 range, and still run on today's premium.
Deane
'67 330GTS (gone but not forgotten)
Sloper

Post by Sloper »

thanks for all those replies - spoke with some aviation experts and they said, the avgas will not do any harm to the engine, should run cooler and smoother - one of them ran his Porsche with Avgas for several years...
so I will try a mix of 50/50 (got that fuel for good money, as those people wanted to get rid of that fuel, to fill the truck with more modern Avgas100LL fuel!!)