Fuel Filter Fix

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

tim

Fuel Filter Fix

Post by tim »

I ran into the same fuel filter leak in my 64 330GT. I tried copper but it wasn't soft enough to seal without putting more tights on it than I cared to. My solution was to braze a washer under the head of the bolt. The ID of the washer should be 3/16 inch larger than the bolt. Center the washer on the bolt and braze away. This creates a recess around the shank of the bolt that is just the perfect place to put an O ring. In my car, you have to remove the entire filter assembley to put in a new seal and both copper and aluminum are one time use deals. Since I did the O ring thing, I've replaced the filter several times now without removing the entire housing and no leaks. tim
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Tim,

Wouldn't o-rings work without the brazed on washer as long as you made sure the rubber was seated correctly?

Tom
John Vardanian

Copper Washer

Post by John Vardanian »

If your copper washer is used, thus compressed and leaky you may anneal it, which will make it like new again. Just hang the washer on the tip of a coat hanger and put the torch to it till it turns glowing red hot, then dip it in water. :)
tyang

Post by tyang »

I thought annealing should be done with slow cooling.

I think of knife making, where the blade is heated and dipped in water to make it harder.

Tom
tim

Post by tim »

The original washer is aluminum and I believe it is softer than the annealed copper. As I said, I didn't want to tighten the bolt enough to get the copper to seal. I think I may have tried using copper at that time but it's been a long time. I used the oversized washer to containg the O ring as they tend to squish out of the way. Another option I didn't know of at the time was something called a Stat-O-Seal. It has an O ring contained by a washer. If they have one in the correct size, it could be a great problem saver. I think Earls has them. I may also have mentioned before, take the cork gasket out of the Fispa fuel filter/sediment bowls in the engine compartment and replace them with a National 225 O ring. Your filters housings will stay nice and dry. tim
JimB

Post by JimB »

Try using Loctite anerobic sealant. I have used it on all the fuel fittings with great success.