help...250 gte blow by

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

eve23

help...250 gte blow by

Post by eve23 »

hi guys
my 250GTE has too much blow by coming into the passenger compartment...i can't drive the car....too toxic

we think it is probably the valve guides and/or valve seals..
any suggestions to remedy this problem w/o breaking down the whole engine??

we were thinking of sending the blow by hoses down to the bottom of the car ...maybe putting a pcv valve into the engine......help??
thanks
eddie
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Eddie,

Welcome to the forum. How many miles do you have on the motor? Original engines usually last about 50K miles before needing guides and rings (Go ahead all you non-Ferrari owners, laugh), but these engines last much longer with better materials and designs after the rebuilds!

Occasionally an engine smokes from sitting for long periods of time and can smoke less when the rings and bores seat again with some driving, but this is rare. You can try all the snake oil, er, oil additives, but I don't know how much it can help. Marvel mystery oil comes to mind, and some people think it works. Are you using 20W-50?

PCV, positive crancase ventilation, valve may make it worse, forcing more oil past the valve guides.

I don't want to discourage you, but I've seen and heard of all sorts of remedies, and they all eventually lead to a rebuild.

Good luck, and if you find a remedy please let us know because you're not the only one trying to breathe!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Eddie,

Redline Lead Substitute tends to seal the valves against their seats and it tends to improve compression. I use it regularly in my old cars.

john
PF Coupe
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

John Vardanian wrote:Eddie,

Redline Lead Substitute tends to seal the valves against their seats and it tends to improve compression. I use it regularly in my old cars.

john
John:

Is the Redline stuff a readily availbale retail product or must it be ordered?

Thanks,

Scott
Current: 1983 308 GTS
R.I.P: 330 2+2 s/n 5409
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Blow by is an aquired taste (smell)...somewhat like caviar. I use redline too and it seems to help.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
Bryan P

Post by Bryan P »

I recall going on the redline website, calling the number and getting the closest local distributor from them . . .
1968 365 GT 2+2
s/n 11199
1955 s.II 500 Mondial
s/n 0556(0446)MD
1965 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sprint Speciale
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Scott,

I live in northern California and you can get Redline products from any parts shop. I beleive it is a CA company. Their products have been a favorite of the racing scene since the 50's. I get it from my favorite NAPA store. They are about $6 a pint and I use it for 4-5 fill ups.

While we are on the subject of additives, I also use Marvels Mystery Oil regularly. I have an old (really old) friend who used to be an aircraft mechanic, and he is especially keen on engine longavity and reliability. He still flies. He recommends MMO and I tend to follow his advice on such matters. The oil is supposed to lubricate the engines breathing aparatus.

The old Packards and such would have a glass bowl under the hood for MMO and there would be a small copper tube going from the bowl to the intake manifold. The vacuum of the manifold would regulate the intake of oil.

john
PF Coupe
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

John:

Thanks - will check it out at NAPA here. My car has 41.2k miles, perfect compression, heads never off, no smoke.....I want to keep it that way as long as possible!

How do you introduce the MMO into your Ferrari intake system?

Scott
Current: 1983 308 GTS
R.I.P: 330 2+2 s/n 5409
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Scott,

Like the Redline Lead Substitute, I add Marvel's Mystery Oil to the gas tank at each fill up.

john
PF Coupe
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

John,

How much Marvel Mystery Oil do you use with each tankfull?

Also, do you dispense it from the old metal can? I should have saved some old cans. All they have locally is a new plastic container, which is what I have now.

--Matt
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Matt,

I put about a cup per fill-up. The bottle has directions on it however.

I used to buy it in the large metal cans and transfer the oil to a long-necked bottle a little at a time for easier filling.

One thing though, with the kam-tailed cars like your 275GTB and the Lusso, is that they create a certain turbulence that causes some of the oil that escapes combustion to splash against that flat panel. I don't mind the cleanup.

john
PF Coupe
Stephanm

Post by Stephanm »

It is hard to tell where oil is entering the combustion chamber, but a leak down test will tell you if the compression rings are bad which may mean that the oil rings are tired. I wouldn't hesitate to do a valve job as most Ferrari's of that era have weak top ends and relatively strong lower ends. Also, the head gaskets are problematic on the 250's until you get Elering gaskets.
If you re-install the heads and need a full overhaul, at least you know that the heads are already done!
eve23

blow by part 2

Post by eve23 »

hi guys and tom
thanks for having me...
i have not found an informative tech site as this site since the 356 registry site.....a lot of guys who work on their cars and know what they're talking about...

i had new gasket and all the bolts and nuts tightenned with brass washers etc,....so all leaks have been taken care of....
the clock has 69k on the clock and according to all my records on the car this could be correct....the car is an east coast car with a stop in texas.....

i think the theory about the car sitting is the correct one in this case ..i've had the car for about 3 yrs and if i put 200 miles on it thats a lot....

i think this car was a sitter....and because of the blow by it still is ...i get a headache everytime i finish driving it and my clothes stink..
i can't helpthinking about gianni agnelliu getting out of one of his cars in his beatiful suits and brooks brothers shirts with his watch over the cuff and smelling like toxic blow by.......!!!

but i will go out now ..fathers day w/o the kids and throw some marvel mystery oil in and take it on the highway....

i have bottles of the lead additive but the last guy who worked on all the gaskets and leaks said i should try this new gas tank fill i just put in with a high octane and no lead additive beacause we wanted to see if this will help by cutting down on the stink.....

i was also going to divert the blow by hoses down to blow out the bottom of the car for now.....thoughts....??

what are thoughts on adding both marvel and lead additive at the same time ??

thanks
eddie