Drop Dead Lusso

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

jsa330

Drop Dead Lusso

Post by jsa330 »

Check out Michael Sheehan's page in the morning for his latest offering.

Would this exterior/interior scheme be good on a SI 330? I think so.
Other opinions?
Current: 1983 308 GTS
R.I.P: 330 2+2 s/n 5409
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Scott,

Since you asked for opinions, this color looks just barely okay on the Lusso. I don't think it would look neary as good on a larger 2+2. I am a big fan of lighter metalic colors for "luxary" Ferraris, mostly blues, grays and greens.

The dark red that is on this Lusso is best suited for the 50's sports racing cars, like the MM, the TdF, etc.

I also think one should feel free to create a color for their car, as opposed to being hung up on going with the factory original color.

john
PF Coupe
Stephanm

Post by Stephanm »

I agree, Reds don't look good on bigger cars, for a GTE or other 2+2 I would look into that VW Passat light green metalic, or a pewter silver metalic with a touch of green or blue only seen in the correct lighting.
fest

mine

Post by fest »

looks like OPINION TIME

I disagree

I went to small (about 40) Ferrari gathering this spring
and there was a certain 365 GT 2+2 there
painted a gorgeous shade of Deep Red
that was a very stunning color
it really stood out from the crowd
(of V8s and Flat 12s in red, Red, and RED)
and simply 'stole the show' IMHO

this Particular shade of Red was quit appropriate
for the 2+2 'Flagship'
and worked quite well
AKB
~~~~~~~
400i SI 32635
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

Guys, I appreciate the opinions.

Fest scores - he agrees with me.

My car is now a classic 60's or 70's era silver (repaint), which looks very nice and elegant, but a little bland with the light tan interior. I think there is a concept behind painting big luxury cars light metallic colors - image of understated, conservative wealth, and maybe deemphasizes mass some. I prefer a little more drama and I think 250, 330, and 365 2+2's are sports car enough to support reds as long as it's not rosso corsa or other bright red or something insane like orange. To me, the V12 front engine 2+2's are Italian muscle cars.

Actually, my favorite potential color scheme is a medium to dark sea blue with a grey, dark red, or pumpkin color interior. The cars that come to mind are Dave Letterman's Superfast and from this board Yale's and Jack Horner's 330 2+2's. I think Dave's car is Sera blue, am I right? Also, the 250 GTE that Heritage Classics in CA had a couple of years back and is now owned by a member here has a great dark blue/pumpkin color scheme.

A nice thing about darker solids is that the great details such as Borranis, scripts, badges, eggcrate grille, etc., that old Ferraris have pop out visually rather than being absorbed by a light metallic color of similar value.

I'm a hardcore traditionalist. I would not paint my car anything but an original factory color or something that speaks of its era.
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »