Daytona Electric Clock

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Paul

Daytona Electric Clock

Post by Paul »

I lost the tick in my clock. If I tap in the clock it will tick for a few seconds and then quit again. Do these clocks have electric batteries? If not any ideas what to do next?
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Paul,

It sounds like the internals need some lubrication. Your clock is probably a mechanical clock wound by a electromagnet that gets juice from the car's battery. I sent mine to D&M Restorations (Supplier's Page) and had it repaired. You may have better luck taking the clock out opening it up and cleaning it, but I felt I didn't have the right tools or lubricants to do the job right.

You can also have the guts replaced with a more reliable quartz movement.

Let us know what you find.

Tom
PAUL BABER

Ferrari clocks.

Post by PAUL BABER »

I am yet to buy an old Ferrari with a clock that is working but have learnt a very simple remedy over the years. Get some very fine emery paper and then remove the back of the clock. You will see that the 'insides' have 'Furred up ' in places. A slight stroke of the emery paper removes this and the clock will work again. Entire proceedure takes about 30 minutes. Think of it on the same basis of when the fuses don't work. Its just lack of contact. I have tried the WD40 route with disastrous results...perhaps I squirted too much. The next time I strip one I will photograph and post the pictures.