Er... Was there very much asbestos used in a 67 330 2+2?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Matt F

Er... Was there very much asbestos used in a 67 330 2+2?

Post by Matt F »

I just removed my seats and some carpeting in order to lay down some modern insulation, much like Tom has done.

Beneath the carpets and the rear seats was a pressed, non-woven material that looked a lot like asbestos. Is it?

Is it safe to scrape the stuff off, or is that an invitation down the road to mesothelioma? If it isn't safe, is there a safe way to get rid of it?

Thanks in advance,

Matt
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Matt,

Not to be careless about my health, but what is safe around old cars? Oil, solvents, and fuel in contact with skin is not good. Breathing in the stuff is no better. Oh, and let's not talk about the damage to your hearing from the pounding, and grinding!

If it is asbestos, you'll still have to get rid of it. Wetting it down will lessen the dust and airborne fibers that can give you cancer. Wear gloves, mask, and eye protection, and I'll leave it up to your discretion how to get rid of it.

I was lucky, the underlayment was removed by the previous owner on my car.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
JonBrent

Post by JonBrent »

Hi Matt,

I asked the exact same question when I was taking my interior out, and the answer was Jute, and organic material. That said, use a good face mask! I think the header and starter insulation may be asbestos, and perhaps the insulation between the floor layers.

That said, I would love to have the insulation you are replacing - I'm going to originality, and can use it provided its not shredded.

Let me know.

Cheers,
Jon
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

Thanks for the responses, guys.

Jon, that gives me a great idea. If the stuff burns in a flame, it's benign and organic. If it doesn't, I'm going to leave it alone. (I understand Tom's point, but fooling around with asbestos crosses my line of reasonable caution. )

Unfortunately, Jon, I don't think that I can remove the insulation without destroying it. I could take some pictures or measurements and e-mail them to you if you like. If it is indeed jute, I'm sure you can get some very similar jute matting almost anywhere.

--Matt
John Vardanian

Post by John Vardanian »

Matt,

The 50's and early 60's cars' floors and bulkheads were made of two layers of metal (often aluminum) sandwiching a layer of asbestos. Your car however is most likely a one-piece fibreglass tub.

But even if there were no asbestos, even if it is wool or cotton, I would wet it, and wear a mask, before disturbing it.

john
PF Coupe
kare

Post by kare »

I recently read a study which claims that there is no need to be hysterically afraid of asbestos in short term contacts. Standard procedures have been designed for working conditions were people may be exposed to asbestos 8 hours a day for many years.

Note also that asbestos does not wet very well. Soap foam may work better for binding the dust. Sometimes painting it over woks very well.

Best wishes, Kare
JonBrent

Post by JonBrent »

Matt,

Ok, no worries. Most of mine peeled up in sheets as I worked my fingers under it, so was saved. Unfortunately, the drivers footwell was oil soaked and the cats have shredded some of the firewall stuff, so I only need 4 or 5 sqft.

My thinking is this stuff must contribute to the wonderful smell these old ferraris get, which is why I want to try to replace it. I could be totally wrong though, and the stuff is pretty heavy.

Cheers,
Jon