Build Sheets, Heritage Certificate--Has Anybody Done It?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

WillS

Build Sheets, Heritage Certificate--Has Anybody Done It?

Post by WillS »

I'm trying to obtain the Heritage Certificate & Build Sheets for my '66 330 GTC S/N 8843 from the factory. I belong to the Ferrari Owners (factory) website and have been corresponding with them regularly. But it is frustrating to say the least. Has anybody successfully obtained these documents from the factory? If so, where were the numbers located on your car that the factory will accept? I have found some (chassis, engine) but not others (transaxle). Any help with or knowledge about this arduous process would be most gratefully received.

Regards,
WillS
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

I've done it, but for a 330 2+2, so some of our numbers are in different places. I had to take the front seats out and trans tunnel cover off to get the gearbox and overdrive numbers, which are conveniently stamped on top of these components and completely inaccessible from under the car.

With the transaxle, if you can't see the numbers from under the car, you will probably have to remove some type of cover panel from above to see the numbers and get a good enough photo.

There are some 330/365 GTC owners here, maybe some of them have been through the procedure and will be of assistance.

Once you get your numbers photographed, the rest is reasonably easy.
Current: 1983 308 GTS
R.I.P: 330 2+2 s/n 5409
warren

Post by warren »

Yes your right, it is a painfull experience. I have actually done it twice. Basically I got so fed up with them that I listed all the numbers I could find on one occassion, and asked them to choose the numbers that were appropriate. It seemed to have worked. There is an explanation of where numbers are located somewhere on there site from memory.
Good luck !!!!!!!!
330GT

Post by 330GT »

I've also done this several times on different types of cars but not on a GTC. I would look near the filler plug or on the underside.

I spent a lot of time trying to find the one for the differential for a PF coupe. And this had been sandblasted so it was clean. It turns out that the number is on the bottom so when I jacked it up to have access, I was covering the number. Finally found it when I put the car on the lift the first time. So clean everything off, have the car on jack stands and expect to spend some time on a creeper or get it on a lift.

Hopefully some other GTC owner will have done this and can point you in the right direction. You could also send a question through the owner's site and see if they can tell you where to look.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
horner

Post by horner »

Will S, It really does work, eventually; sort of. Check Kerry's site for a full description for how to find the numbers on the 2+2's. Then hunt around the trans-axle as he recommended. Also, the www.330register.com site of Paul Gilpatrick may have some info on your car to help guide you. Lastly, have patience. I sent the photos through the "owners" site, plus the required info and recv'd the Heritage Certificate relatively quickly. Basically same info and pix (and some actually easier info) and still waiting for Build Sheet! LJH
Jack Horner, 1966 330 GT 2+2 Series II, s/n 8325 (x-1981 Mondial 8, s/n 36213)
David Booth

Post by David Booth »

I did it on my cabriolet, but had the unfair advantage of the car being all apart, making finding the numbers a matter of a few minutes effort.
1960 SII PF cabriolet #2105GT
1963 250GTE #4799GT with 330 America engine #5033GT

"...Luigi follow only the Ferraris.."
lukek

Post by lukek »

I tried. I got all the numbers and the formatting correct after 5 tries. Them the answer came back that my car was numbers matching, except ....for the diff....No soup for you !!!!
Oh, no, my ultra rare million dollar GTE is a mongrel. What will I do? I must stop driving and crush it immediately !
I made up a fake cert in Photoshop to help the car's self esteem, but will not pass it on the next owner, nor will I participate in "official" judging events (wife and I think Q-tips are for ears, not car detailing).

Besides, they started charging for the cert. $500 or more, me thinks.

I know, I have posted about this in another thread, but it was a silly beauracratic kinda thing to do....

luke

1963 GTE
Ex 1963 Ferrari 250 GTE, 99 Modena 360, 11 Maserati QPorte S, 08 merc gl550, 67 Cadillac Coupe DeVille Convertible, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, 2006 MV Agusta Brutale S, 1991 Ducati 907i.e.
330GT

Post by 330GT »

Luke, they are talking about a different certificate. That one will be required for entering official Ferrari events, like historic races. And the €500 is just the start. Worst case you have to ship your car to the factory for inspection!
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
WillS

Build Sheets

Post by WillS »

Thank you all for your informative and entertaining replies. I spoke with one of the Ferrari Holy of Holies (G. Roush, FML), and he was able to help me figure some more stuff out.

Luke, like your diff, it's beginning to look like my car doesn't have the origional transaxle, though everything else is the same---actually I should say that the factory says their build sheet doesn't agree with what my transaxle number is. According to Mr. Roush, that doesn't mean all too much. He has examples of build sheets with the same serial numbers for two different cars! His quote was something like "the guy wanted to go get a cappuchino and didn't pay enough attention". Makes sense. He also said that my transaxle number is in the range of other GTCs with similar chassis and internal engine numbers, so maybe I'm screwed anyway, even if it is the origional transaxle.

A good suggestion was to just take all the pictures of numbers I can (the shotgun effect), send them to the factory, and hope for the best. I shall do that. Thanks.

I want to get the build sheets because it is so totally cool to see all the parts specifications that went into my car when it was built. The Heritage Certificate I don't care so much about as I am not the showcar type, but it would be a very good thing to have if I ever sell this car instead of being buried in it.......;)

Best Regards,
WillS
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

Will S:

After all the work to document my car and some correspondence with Ferrari - they at first claimed that there was no build sheet existing even though it showed up as available on the Owner's site - the long awaited emails arrived. It turned out my build sheets are about 50% illegible. My car has a sunroof which was very well installed and several local folks with much Ferrari experience have expressed the opinion that it could possibly have been factory done. I was hoping that there might be some info on the sheets regarding this.

I'm not trying to sound discouraging. Forty years is a long time for some papers that are possibly only mimeographs or something to sit in a dusty file. I'm very pleased to have the sheets in whatever condition and the certificate is a prize. I put them both up on the dash whenever I take my car to some local event. It is nice to know that I have a proven numbers matching vintage Ferrari though it is but a humble Series I 330 2+2.

I would follow it on to the conclusion, whatever that is. If nothing else, you will certainly gain intimate knowledge of your car, and that's worth a lot.
Current: 1983 308 GTS
R.I.P: 330 2+2 s/n 5409
lukek

Post by lukek »

True enough...I did learn that mine was built in July. Right before the workers were about to take off for the summer holiday. Hmmmm.....
Ex 1963 Ferrari 250 GTE, 99 Modena 360, 11 Maserati QPorte S, 08 merc gl550, 67 Cadillac Coupe DeVille Convertible, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, 2006 MV Agusta Brutale S, 1991 Ducati 907i.e.
WillS

Post by WillS »

I just sent in my fourth reply to the factory with all the pictures of numbers I could find. I'll let you all know how I make out, whether it be success or failure to obtain the documents.

If anybody who has a GTC has been through this process, I sure would like to hear from you. Thanks much all for your help.

Best Regards,
WillS
judge4re

Post by judge4re »

When I tried to get the certificate for the 365, I sent in the two cast numbers that are on the passenger side of the gearbox. Ferrari emailed me back (about 2 days later) saying that these we're correct. Anyone know where the right ones are?
365 GT4 2+2 (18759)
Mondial 8 (39343)
308 GTS QV (47071)
horner

Post by horner »

I received an email from the Owner's Site last Friday informing me that all my info was correct except for the Transmission number. I took a "mirrored" photo & picked up the wrong stamping. According to the Factory the Tranny number: "the right number should be made up of three digits and it is punched with the same type of the rear axle number."

So I will get a better photo and make sure the punching looks like my diff number. My original has raised numbers, not punched, so I'll have a better idea of what to photgraph.
Jack Horner, 1966 330 GT 2+2 Series II, s/n 8325 (x-1981 Mondial 8, s/n 36213)
WillS

Post by WillS »

Well, here is the factory's final reply. My GTC is not pure as the driven snow. Maybe I'll make up a "Certificate of Support and Affection" for my car so it feels a little better. The transaxle number is in the right number range for my chassis number, but it could be a little high--like the transaxle was changed under warranty within the first year of ownership, or something like that..... Kinda bummed.

Will

Dear Mr Stevenson,

We would like to inform you that the analysis of the pictures you have sent us revealed a non-correspondence of the gearbox-rear axle unit numbers, more precisely between the data you provided us with and the numbers that were originally punched on the car. Therefore, it is impossible for us to issue the Build Sheet of your car.

We do confirm however that both the engine number and the external colour of the car (Blu Sera 20100 M It.) correspond to the original ones.

We remain at your complete disposal for further information you may be interested in regarding the car in your possession.

With kindest regards,

Ferrari Customer Care