Best companion for GTE? Part 2?

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

400iman

Post by 400iman »

Luke,

I'd go for the Boxster, S model if you can swing it. The Viper is cool, but I think the Boxster would be a better all-around fun car, especially on some of the nice roads you have there in Cali. Then again I'm biased toward the European stuff.

So, 1st beer on you at Concorso?

Udo
Enzo250GTO

Post by Enzo250GTO »

I'm always up for a beer.

My thoughts on the Viper. Speaking to another Viper owner, he told me the average time a person owns a Viper is 10 months. I do not know where he got this number so it could be one of those random made up stats to sound good.

However, I don't find it too hard to believe. The Viper is an awful everyday driver. Reasons: lots of power that can easily make you fish-tail, uncomfortable seating/ergolnomics(sp?) and the exhaust on the 94s is right under the doors making it loud as all can be.

IMHO the Viper is a weekend car not an everyday driver. I really would NOT recommend this for daily use. How much are used NSXs going for?
lukek

Post by lukek »

Beers are no problem. As long as the 3 year old, and the 2 year old are asleep, I can escape, and treat to a round...(or...I will just bring some good wine to Bill's GTE reunion dinner, or Tom's get together, if he is having one this year).
If I am dumping the A4, I will get the Boxster. I might go for the S to get some extra thrills. I think the wife would appreciate NOT driving the Viper. NSXs are in the low 30s for good ones, but the styling does not grab me. One heck of a car, so it is still on the list. My neighbor has one, and raves abut it daily. I have to drive a C5 Vette convertible, too, but a car like that would require a complete wardrobe change for me. Maybe even new curtains.

Thanks again,
Luke
Ex 1963 Ferrari 250 GTE, 99 Modena 360, 11 Maserati QPorte S, 08 merc gl550, 67 Cadillac Coupe DeVille Convertible, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, 2006 MV Agusta Brutale S, 1991 Ducati 907i.e.
judge4re

Post by judge4re »

I hate to admit this (especially in this group), but a co-worker of mine back in the states has a Z06 Vette. I drove it to lunch one day. Wow. A lot of car for the money. I'm not trying to start an arguement, but I did enjoy that car.

I don't know how tall you are Luke, but at 6'2", I don't fit in the Boxster.
365 GT4 2+2 (18759)
Mondial 8 (39343)
308 GTS QV (47071)
donv

Post by donv »

If you are looking for a daily driver, any of the Porsches mentioned would be good. I would probably be partial to a 993 (I love the styling). I think you could get one in that price range.

If you want something exotic, I would look toward Maserati. You might be able to get a Ghibli in that price range, which would be way cool. Or, for something completely different, how about a Quattroporte?

My other suggestion would be a Mondial Cab, but it sounds like you are looking for something more modern. Still, you might try driving one. It is a completely different experience than your GTE.
1969 365GT 2+2
fuiszt

Post by fuiszt »

Lotus Elise? Trackable, reliable (at least the toyota part), and reasonable gas mileage.
64 330gt 2+2 #6413
lukek

Post by lukek »

Elise would be great, just need to exercise patience. MSRP is $40K, with dealers asking up to 15K over, which puts it over my 35K limit. A used one, with increased production should be in that neighborhood soon enough. Remember the Miata?
Ex 1963 Ferrari 250 GTE, 99 Modena 360, 11 Maserati QPorte S, 08 merc gl550, 67 Cadillac Coupe DeVille Convertible, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, 2006 MV Agusta Brutale S, 1991 Ducati 907i.e.
fuiszt

Post by fuiszt »

I had a miata when they first came out-only car I've ever owned that women actually jumped into uninvited (or maybe it was just a function of me being younger, no baby seats, etc.). I bet the elise prices will sink as soon as demand saturates and its not new anymore. Its more extreme than a miata, and too basic (unless you like driving 60's ferraris-then its like the jetson's spaceship).
My 330 remains entombed in the shop :(
64 330gt 2+2 #6413
xs10shl

Post by xs10shl »

Luke,

I think you can probably guess what I'm going to say about the subject, seeing as I have a Boxster S. I love the Boxster as a daily driver, and I'm planning on buying another one when I get the urge to upgrade mine.

Or you could look at a 356A, perhaps? Or for the same price, buy BMW 3.0 CS, and an Alfa GTV2000 and have money left over for maintenance? Perhaps the new Mini convertible? Renault-Alpine A-110? Sunbeam Tiger? Ahh, the options are endless!

Keep me in mind if you need someone to help you test drive - thats what friends are for!

Thomas
fest

no jap scrap

Post by fest »

A Miata is a CHICK CAR to be sure-

we were looking for a car
mainly for the SO to drive to work
(70+ miles one way over the mountans out to the coast)
so good mileage and great handling were prerequistes
(and a good excuse, as she was driving a TrailBlazer)

she said 'you know, Miatas are cute'
I said 'NO F@#$'n WAY'
am I not going to be seen in one of THEM
let alone DRIVE it!!!

so I went out found a real nice '97 318i Convertible instead
good on gas, and a hoot to drive, besides
AKB
~~~~~~~
400i SI 32635
lukek

Post by lukek »

....short list grew to M roadster, Boxster, and now the BMW M3 SMG, perhaps a convertible.
Of course, today, just for fun, I saw a man about his 66 XKE, baby blue with a red interior, 53K miles from new, and same owner. On top of this, my wife complemented his house, and this is when he mentioned that he would consider selling the place without a realtor to a nice little family like us (He was looking at the kids and wife, I was severely backlit). The house is in a really nice school district.
I am doomed.
GTE will have some kind of roommate before the end of August, darn it !

thx
luke
abrent

Post by abrent »

Luke, can you stretch the dollars to the Mondial t Cab, a 348 series. I think they have better ergonomics than the 328 series Mondial cab, but that also might be a good choice.

I dunno about the boxter, capable -but a bit boring.

I bought a suicide door lincoln continental to keep the GTE company.
It looks pretty funny careening down small Australian Roads.
Handling,,,, What's that?
Power,,, Plenty.
Style,,, Tons.
Weight,, Lots.
JimC

Post by JimC »

I have to suggest the Alfa Romeo Montreal. Italian V8, sweet mechanical fuel injection, avant garde styling, and very reasonably priced all things considered - 25k usually bags a great one.
lukek

resolution

Post by lukek »

I like the Montreal, it looks particularly good in black.

I did get something yesterday. I went with the Boxster. Yes, they are common, but after test driving 4, I started to like it even better. The particular dealer took my low ball offer, and even let me unload my leased A4, giving me some equity back (he must have bought the Boxster at auction for super cheap). I did a PPI on the Boxster and it passed. So far, I love driving it. I am playing with the NAV system. It is a 2000 and the color is burgundy with quite a but of purple in it. I thought about referring to it as the Barney Boxster and getting a plate frame that says: "I love you, you love me".
:)
This way, I have something fun as my driver, and I do not have to take any loans out for cars that will become maintenance nightmares. In my situation, owning one Ferrari (or exotic) is enough, I came to conclude.
Thanks for all the input. It created a lot of material for my "future" list.

luke
330 America

$35K Car Search

Post by 330 America »

Luke,

I'll add my 2 cents as I've got (or have owned) several of the cars mentioned in the list provided by the other guys -- plus, I've got a fair amount of racing experience to know what cars hold up under performance driving conditions. The Maserati, 308 QV, and other "oddball" cars are nice if you want to put 2K miles/year on them and hope your garage floor isn't covered in oil and that stuff isn't breaking every 6K miles -- basically Ferrari-like ownership.

But if you really want a economical/practical daily driver that can be taken to the track on the weekend (or open California roads), there's no beating the Porsche's -- particularly the 968 (with the M030 sport suspension option) or the 993 (I've owned 2 -- including the rare 993RS Euro-spec model). Why, you ask? These cars are virtually bullet-proof from a reliability standpoint and offer unmatched performance. The Supra fan(s) will argue the Toyota can put more horsepower to the ground, but so does my former '71 GTO Judge. Horsepower is not the point, rather I'm talking about corner handling and all the other aspects that go with a complete performance car. If you're talking about a 968, get a '93 to '95 vintage (later is better) and while the Tiptronic is nice around town the 6-speed is preferable. If you're talking about a 911 Type 993, you want the '96 model (282hp Varioram intake vs. 270hp from 1995). The 993 offers a great combination of power, handling, and cache as the last of the air-cooled 911's.

While I agree that the 928 GTS is a beautiful car, I will never bring myself to buy one because they are less reliable than a Ferrari (if you can believe it)! My father-in-law has had three 928's and while they were made famous by Tom Cruise in Risky Business, I much prefer the 400i made famous by Tom Cruise in Rain Man! The 928 has problems with leaking tie rod seals, water pump problems, and lots of electrical gremlins! Because there are few aftermarket parts sources, this "pig" is expensive to maintain -- a great car concept with poor assembly execution (not one of Porsche's finer hours).

A good 968 can be had for $20K-$25K, and a good '96 993 will run closer to $40K, but if you're willing to trade a few extra miles on the odometer a clean car is available for $35K (check the Porsche Panorama, the monthly Porsche Club magazine or www.pca.org, The Mart classifieds). If space to haul golf clubs or grocery bags is a primary concern, the 968 is perfect and the 236hp 4-banger is remarkably adept even with the A/C running.

The Boxster is my #3 choice in regular trim, but if you want a convertible then its my #1 choice in "S" trim -- either way, you want a 2001 or newer version. The reason you see so many Boxstersis that they are very nicely built cars and offer a great balance a respectable performance with comfort for daily driving -- and the body style still looks classy after 7 years -- unlike the M3's that seem dated 3 years after introduction. My wife/I are seriously considering buying a Boxster S as a "weekend car" (making it our 3rd Porsche currently), and while I know I will see half a dozen of them a day, it won't take away my driving pleasure. THey are a modest investment ($25K-$30K for a non-S; $35K-$40K for a "S").

Stay with the Porsches as I race two of them, including a $130K GT3 Supercup and I can tell you they are the most solid built supercar on the market -- hands down. They're not perfect, but miles ahead of the rest including Italy's finest in terms of low-cost ownership.

Just a thought from another car nut. I'm still waiting for a good Lusso to surface and then I'll "empty my garage" to make room!
Steve Patti
Ferrari 330 Americ (5061) - SOLD
1988 Porsche 944 Rothmans Turbo Cup (ex-Bill Adam)
1988 Porsche 944 Rothmans Turbo Cup (7UP guest car)