Replace Old A/C Hoses

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

WillS

Replace Old A/C Hoses

Post by WillS »

I am trying to get the a/c working in my 330. The hoses themselves are leaking. One of the hoses says "Aeroquip 1540" on it with a date of 4/66, so I'm pretty sure it is the correct original hose. That hose has the black braided cloth cover on it. I have heard that Aeroquip 1540 is only available in a red braided textile cover. However, I found these two links that say "Black textile braided cover". They only wholesale the hose in 50' lengths, way more than I need.

http://www.jgbhose.com/static/905690.asp#

http://hydraulics.eaton.com/products/pd ... 15-067.PDF (go to pg. 55)

Has anybody had any experience with getting the correct black braided cloth a/c hose as above for their car? If so, where did you get it? The fittings on my old hoses are reuseable, so if I can get the correct hose, I can get the old fittings put on.

If only the red is available, where do I get that? And what way of painting, staining, etc. gives it a good looking black finish?

Thanks for the help,
Will
WillS

Post by WillS »

A little further information after chasing around town after a/c hose today. The size of hose I need is #6, #8, and #10. The hose end fittings come off the old hose and go on the new hose (once I find some) fairly easily, once you know how to do it. If anybody needs information on installing the fittings, I'd be glad to help out.

Best,
Will
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Will,

I don't want you to think we're ignoring you because my car didn't have A/C!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
WillS

Post by WillS »

Tom, thanks for the kind comment :). No problem, I realize that a/c is not a high priority for vintage Ferraris, and shouldn't be. What with the Pacific Northwest having record high temperatures it sure has become a priority for me though!! I did find a source for the hoses if anybody ever needs them in the future. Also, the electrical circuits and relays dealing with the a/c are interesting and complex (for the 1960s), and I would be happy to help anyone trying to sort those problems out.

Best Regards,
Will
chamm

Post by chamm »

Will, I ran across black braided textile covered hose at http://www.italiancarparts.com/parts/ferrariparts.html. Way down the page under "Hose / Braided". Haven't the foggiest idea if this is the correct stuff or not.

Charles
No Ferrari to put in sig... yet.
WillS

Post by WillS »

Charles, thanks for the input. The hose for a/c is specially for a/c use only. Hoses for gas, oil, coolant, etc. won't work as the freon gas will permeate right through them. Italparts prices for the various hoses are pretty high. Anyone can go down to the local truck maintenance shop and get the same black braided hoses for quite a bit less per foot.

Regards,
Will
Dr. Ian Levy

Replace Old A/C Hoses

Post by Dr. Ian Levy »

Hi all
I have repaired & replaced most of the parts of my air con system including hoses but UK does not use Freon gas any more in these systems.
I was told it was environmentally unfriendy& it is not used by any of the local automotive air con companies.
I had to have the ports changed on the system compressor to accept a different gas.
Is it not the same over there?
I had new hoses made up locally including new connectors of similar Aeroquip material as the originals
It cost me the same for all the 4 hoses as I would have paid for one of the long ones from Ferrari UK
Ian Levy
Manchester
UK
1972 365 GTC4 s/n 15989
http://www.ferrari365gtc4.co.uk/
zac

Post by zac »

I did my hoses just about a year ago and was able to get Aeroguip hose in all the correct sizes without any difficulties. My original hoses were in pretty good shape and I was able to get part numbers off the old hoses to give to the hose shop. Aeroguip even makes the hose ends still that look almost Identical to the originals. If I remember correctly the whole set up did not cost more than $500.00. Although in the end I ended up using the original hose ends that I had cad plated. If You still can't find the correct black hose feel free to pm me and I will ask the hose shop that I got mine from. You can also try
[url]www.newcoproducts.com[/url]
Zac
Jim

Post by Jim »

I would try Newco Products. He's listed in the Suppliers page of this website. He has a lot of vintage hoses for Ferraris. I've delt with him (I believe his name is neil) in the past. Seems like a good guy.
Jim
'67 330 GTS
s/n 10567
Stephanm

Post by Stephanm »

Keep up the good work in making the A/C work because the cars are miserable to drive with the windows down due to the pounding noise of wind rushing in.
WillS

Post by WillS »

I found a source for the Aeroquip 1540 hoses. It is the Goodall Rubber Co., Seattle, Tel: 253-395-4770. They are a distributor for Aeroquip products. Ask for Dan in Sales as he is the one who ordered my hoses from Aeroquip. Any distributor for Aeroquip products can get you the 1540 a/c hose. You need to get specifically a/c hose, as fuel, oil, etc. hose will not work--the freon gas permeates right through it. I decided to go with the Aeroquip 1540 hose, which works for R-12 and is original for the 330 GTC. It supposedly also works for R-134a, but is not specifically recommended for R-134a by the manufacturer.

The fittings come off of the hose ends pretty easily once you have the right tools. You'll need a good vice and an adjustable wrench. If you have hoses with straight fittings on the hose ends (i.e., not a 45 degree or 90 degree fitting on the hose end), you will need to go to a good hardware store and buy the correct male brass flare fitting that screws into the female straight fitting on the end of your hose. These hoses and fittings are all SAE, as the a/c systems Ferrari used in the 60s were US made (York compressors, Aeroquip hose, etc.) to the best of my knowledge.

If you have a 45 or 90 degree fitting on the end of your hose, just clamp the hose in your vice by the metal piece that covers the hose (i.e., the piece that the hose actually goes into), put your wrench on the nut that is part of the 45/90 fitting and unscrew it in the normal direction. It might be stiff, but it will come unscrewed. After that fitting is unscrewed and removed from the hose, the metal piece that was clamped in the vice will unscrew from the hose itself. BUT, the hose unscrews from that piece OPPOSITE to the normal direction for unscrewing. This all assumes that you have hose fittings that are the reuseable type, NOT the swedged/crimped type.

If you have a straight fitting on your hose, first screw the male brass flare fitting you got at the hardware store into the female hose fitting and tighten securely. Then clamp the hose in a vice by the metal piece that covers the hose (as above), put your wrench on the female hose fitting that screws onto the male brass flare fitting you got at the hardware store, unscrew it in the normal direction, and continue as outlined above.

Be careful on reassembly as it is easy to lift a rubber flap on the inside of the hose as you tighten the center fitting (the first fitting you removed on disassembly) into the new hose. This flap can clog the new hose. Lube the fitting with compressor oil to ease assembly.

I took some pictures of the procedure but don't know how to post them on Tom's site. PM me if you want them.

Regards,
Will
tyang

Post by tyang »

To clarify for Ian across the pond, R-12 is the old refridgerant, and the stuff that destroys ozone. 134a is the new, environmentally safer replacement. I believe R-12 is still available, but very expensive because it's no longer made and supplies are dwindling. In order to convert to 134a, an A/C system should be rebuilt, with new hoses, gaskets, and internal part in the system. It used to be cheaper to pay the premium for R-12 than convert here in the States, but now the balance is tilted towards conversion. About 2 years ago, I paid $75 bucks for 16 oz. of R-12, when 134a was a few bucks for the same can. I can't imagine what it costs now!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
330GT

Post by 330GT »

I followed Will's instructions to remove the A/C hose ends so I could use them on the new Aeroquip hose.

1. Removing the end on a 90° fitting, unscrew normally:

2. Removing the ferrule from the hose, unscrew opposite direction:

3. Removing the end from a straight fitting using the flare fitting on the dryer, unscrew normally:

Here's the original markings on a hose dating from February 1967:
AEROQUIP 1540 SIZE 10 - 2 - 67
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605