Original Cheney Clamps

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

tyang

Post by tyang »

So if that's all the difference, why can't a stamp be made, and one could just stamp the McMaster clamps...?
'63 330 America #5053
rschmoll

Post by rschmoll »

That's a great idea Tom. Does anyone know if the McMaster clamps are unmarked? Or do they already carry the McMaster name? There is no indication of one online.

Also, it looks like the McMaster clamps have a different screw head than Cheney. I bet that could be replaced as well for a more authentic look.
Ferrari 330 GT engine s/n 7025
Ferrari 330 GT chassis s/n 6815
Matt F

Post by Matt F »

I have some 46-70mm stainless clamps I bought from McMaster a while ago. Unfortunately, they're already marked:
"All Stainless"
"BREEZE"
"U.S.A."
enio45

cheney clamps

Post by enio45 »

I started this thread by looking for the clamps....now that i found some it dawned on me that after the montere3y show, not all the hoses have cheney clamps, some have the unique strap type on the heater hoses....

Does anyone know the correct clamps for the application under the hood?

I did notice on mine the original 4 cheney clamps on the oil filler assemblies.

What about the radiator upper and lower, heater hoses, overflow etc?

Thanks alot
Ed Montini
330 GT 2+2 Series II - 8289
58 Ellena - 0855GT - orig drivetrain
87 El Camino SS
rschmoll

Post by rschmoll »

I believe your talking about clamps called "Copiglia Clamps" These can be found on old Jaguars, Alfas, Fiats, etc... as well.
Ferrari 330 GT engine s/n 7025
Ferrari 330 GT chassis s/n 6815
330GT

Post by 330GT »

I just did a web page in the registry on clamps for the 330 GT.

See http://www.parrotbyte.com/330GTRegistry/?Clamps.htm.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
josh

Post by josh »

rschmoll wrote:I believe your talking about clamps called "Copiglia Clamps" These can be found on old Jaguars, Alfas, Fiats, etc... as well.
I never knew what those were called :) They're used everywhere except the fuel lines on my fiat.
--

1966 Fiat 1500 Cabriolet
1967 Fiat Dino Spider
http://www.hitchhiker.org/fiat/
SLM

Post by SLM »

When I judge cars I always look for the original clamps on a car. Cheney clamps are used on all the hoses except for the heater hoses.copilia clamps are used here and are available from Parker Hall. I have found that the best way to do research on original items is study the owners manual. This could take hours but you are looking at ORIGINAL details of your car. It shows the clamps in the manual and the orientation as well.

As for making clamps to look like cheney clamps.good luck. The metal and the screw on the cheney are heavy duty truck like. Spend some time and get the originals-thats whats fun about restoring these cars. Also,Its the stories we can tell about how it took 6 months ,29 clamps, from 6 different countries and yada yada yada.......

just my 2 cents!
Steve
62 250GTE S/N 3733
Chris Coios

Post by Chris Coios »

Suggestions regarding the restoration of Cheney clamps: They are usually very messy when you find them and good preparation is essential to proper plating. First unravel the clamp fully to open it and expose all of the strap. Soak in parts cleaner, then soap and water and thoroughly rinse/dry. Half way into each cleaning step, rotate the screw 90 and 180 degrees to fully expose all the threads to cleaner. Next step is to restore the clamp shape by closing it again and gently hammering the strap around a pipe form of appropriate diameter to the size to remove kinks and distortion. Open the clamp and now glass bead blast to remove all the corrosion and old cadmium plating (the cad is stubborn and takes some effort to remove). Again blast inside the screw pocket from both ends, rotating the screw 90 degrees in steps to get all the threads. Rinse the clamp rigorously in alchohol to wash out the beads (again turn that screw). Off to the plater for clear cadmium (silver) with instructions to turn the screw 90 and 180 degrees during the plating process to expose all the thread circumference to the plating bath. Count on wasting some clamps, 10% to 20% end up junk and do not close or thread well again due to damage, corrosion or stripped screws.

The thin strap clamps were typically used on the smallest diameter hoses (example heater hoses) or the largest diameter hose like air ducting. Cheney clamps found on the average radiator hose or fuel tank hose connection (like the unions of the cross over pipe between side tanks of a 275 GTB). Cheney clamps also on the vent hose from the oil breather on outside plug Columbo engines. See old Factory engine photos for guidance.

Chris
Edward 96GTS

Post by Edward 96GTS »

What type of plating is correct for Cheney clamps?
Silver/white cad looks like flat silver paint. However, when looking at the inside of the clamp the finish appears to be shiny like stainless. Would a zinc finish be more appropriate?
TIA
Deane

Post by Deane »

The consensus I've gathered is "white" or clear cad. Zinc plating came later, after cad's toxicity obsoleted it from general use.
Deane
'67 330GTS (gone but not forgotten)
Chris Coios

Post by Chris Coios »

The Cheney clamps I have seen on 250's and 275's were all clear (silver color) cadmium. Over time, this turns toward gray. New cadmium plating that is well done is not necessarily flat in sheen. The cadmium I have had done is very bright, with lustre, a truly silver color that, for ease of description, mimics sterling in hue. It is not gray to start. The amount of lustre may be a function of brighteners in the plating solution, but I would have to ask a plater. Zinc plating starts to show up on Ferrari bits in the later 60's probably for cost reasons related to environmental control issues as noted by Deane. For example, I have seen the end cups and fittings for the yellow fuel line originally zinc plated on very late 275's, whereas earlier cars have these cadmium. Same for the cover of the mechanical fuel pump, which was usually nickel plated, later zinc. Zinc is not very durable in appearance. It is very sacrificial and starts to oxidize white and reveal rust in short order, once exposed to weather. Cadmium seems to have far more longevity in comparison. The yellow chromated zinc seems more durable, but this gold-looking finish appears later than 275's, but I do not know exactly when. Like most Ferrari details, the changes just start to show up sometime as the suppliers change.

Chris
Koll

Post by Koll »

Resto-dilema... Original or Better.

Vintage clamps are a perfect example. Wire is another.

The stuff used in long ago had advanced much of course.

I'm of two minds on this. I can see the value of a time capsule care, but I'd rather have something that didn't cut corners like the factory sometimes did. Those wind-up clamps remind me of single and double ear Oetiker clamps. They were pretty much one-time-use items designed to do a servicable job and they went on fast at the factory. Five seconds or less.

Do I really want to duplicate that? Not for a car I depend on and may have to change that component later.

Of course, time capsules would be different.
Jimmyr

Post by Jimmyr »

As noted, the correct hose clamps are very important in concorse judging. With the higher degree of restoration that these cars are obtaining the small details are all that is left to pick on in the classes. If you just want to drive, any good clamp will work. As for cad vs zinc, either should look better than rust, but be sure all are of the same plating. A protective clear coat of Krylon clear or Krylon satin clear spray offers a degree of protection and is quite durable. Jim Riff
fest

mcmaster

Post by fest »

as my car had a mish mash of Hose Clamp types
and I had no way of telling which were original
and which were replaced
and the as the part numbers were NLA, Superseded, etc
finding all the correct OEM Clamps was just too convoluted
(and I might have wound up a mish mash any how)
I went with McMaster Clamps for all
http://www.mcmaster.com/ctlg/DisplCtlgP ... 7297985953
5076 K 11, 12,13, etc

these are great looking high quality clamps
the only issue I have is with the smallest size (K11)
as (at 3/8") it is substantially wider than the OE Clamps
the rest are really great

I was planning to use all of these clamps
throughout the Engine compartment
(and Vehicle)
so at least they would be consistent (and proper)
in appearance
if not 'letter perfect'
AKB
~~~~~~~
400i SI 32635