Dilema-Sell all the classics for a great new one??

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

eve23

Dilema-Sell all the classics for a great new one??

Post by eve23 »

ok..so i'm having another moment.....
i love my classics, all great cars....
but i am at the stage in my life with 2 young children and a wife who is jealous of my classic loves....that i have no time for anything...
i take one day of the weekend for one car...
the other for the family...it is very stressfull..
i got 7 cars...all 50's and 60's with a '72 246(my late model).

i tired of working and maintaining one or the other all the time...
or waiting for parts from italy or from some secret cave....
it is wearing me out...i want a car with no problems....
ex: my 250 (i bought as a family car) has a blowby smell that i can't stand anymore...i hooked up 2 hoses to the rear of the car so i won't smell it, but its still there...i took it out to the beach today and blew it out ...it seemed better.

i'm hot for an srs6 crossfire roadster to give me a break from the fixing and constant care....a car that will just start and i can go as far as i want w/o any problems....

then my wife says but its a 2 seater(she drives an infiniti FX35...what about the kids???
thats the point... its for us.... not the kids.....

so then i start to think about some new 4 seat convertibles...
bmw 330, mercedes 430, audi a4......??? so i think i'm set...

then tonight while riding bikes with the family i see parked up the block a new yellow 360 modena....
maybe i should sell all the cars and get a new 360.....then i think about the maintenence and the value dropping like a rock every year.....

a bentley GT...NO CONVERTIBLE
a maser quattroporte...same problem....
the new scalietti....no convertible and a waiting list....

ok guys i need to simplify thats certain but with what.......thoughts???
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

7 old cars is a lot. How about a 275 GTS: convertible, room for family, indisputable purebred vintage Ferrari, appreciating classic.
Current: 1983 308 GTS
R.I.P: 330 2+2 s/n 5409
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

Sorry on that last post - 275/330 GTS are 2 seater converts, maybe enough room behind seats to take 1 kid to the store.

Only other alternatives in the V12 Ferrari area I can think of would be an ultra nice 365 2+2 coupe, which it sounds like you could easily afford, or a 365/412 GT4 convertible, which does have room for 4, and compared to other V12 era cars, quite reasonable in price.
Current: 1983 308 GTS
R.I.P: 330 2+2 s/n 5409
Boxer42

Post by Boxer42 »

If you are going to go "modern" suggest you take a look at an older 456 GT. It has room for 2 adults, 2 kids, and most of the depreciation cost will already have been borne by the original owner. It has a great 12 cylinder engine and is a great long distance drivers car. Additionally it handles like a car half it's weight and size.
365 GTB/4 Daytona, F40
SLM

Post by SLM »

Easy answer ! I just went through the same thing.

I kept the old cars and bought an M3.

My kids love it , its fast as hell, and has a 4 year or 50,000 mile service included.
eve23

Post by eve23 »

thanks for the responses......

getting another v12 will put me in the same boat...its the smell of the gas,oil and blow by that makes the experience unpleasurable...
how the hell did gianni agnelli do it?? gorgeous clothes that smelled like carbon dioxide??? how did all his women deal with it..
i forgot... he changed his cars like his underware....

an M3 sounds interesting....but beemers never did it form me...
i'll take a look and see if i get excited....

eddie

eddie
matt

Post by matt »

I am a vintage Ferrari nut but have considered a newer car for all the reasons you gave. But what else can compare to a Ferrari? Not much. I have however discovered a car that looks interesting.It looks like a good investment as well. Check out Unique performance. They make "real" shelby's. It is a one year wait and they are expensive, but wow, what a car.Im sure they smell good too.
lukek

Post by lukek »

similar thread to my older one....I went from 4 to 3. Also too much to worry about, and no time to fix them with kids, work, and other hobbies (wife).

But...7 cars, eh?
I would thin the herd. Get it down to 3 classic cars and then get two modern ones. You will go from 7 to 5. Selling all is too extreme, and involves a lot of hassle. Besides, you will not be happy with just one 360 Modena, or whatever.

-Keep the three classics that you know best, the ones in best shape right now, and the ones that will hold value. Set up a little spreadsheet, or tossa coin.
-Get two modern cars that are quite different. Since you have the SUV already, get a modern sedan and a convertible. I would recommend something like an E55 or XJR. An executive machine with a 400 hp grunt. I would look for 1-3 year old examples, so you let some other chump take the depreciation while still enjoying the bumper to bumper warranty.
For the convertible, get a Porsche. I am really enjoying my Boxster, and it is a lot of car for not a lot of money. No funny smells, nothing is breaking down and the air works great.

Alternatively, if you have more coin from the sale of the 4 classic cars, get a Maserati Coupe or a Ferrari 456. Substance without the flash. Borderline everyday use, depending where you live. For the other car, a new Cabrio 911 (997). Live large in this scenario !

You should list all the cars you own. I can tell which ones you can sell to me at a deep discount. I will get back to 4 at some point (my mental and physical space limit).
:O
Ex 1963 Ferrari 250 GTE, 99 Modena 360, 11 Maserati QPorte S, 08 merc gl550, 67 Cadillac Coupe DeVille Convertible, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, 2006 MV Agusta Brutale S, 1991 Ducati 907i.e.
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

How about biting the bullet and getting the V 12 rebuilt? That way you won't suffer from the smells and will be able to drive a car that was meant to be used. You may have some cash left over to do some cosmetics as well.
I have 13 cars and have begun trimming the herd so that I can focus on the best of the lot and spend some time with my lovely wife as well.

Regards,

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
xs10shl

Post by xs10shl »

Sell the car you like the least, and use the proceeds to buy your wife a nice ring, only to be taken out on special occasions. Tell her it's her "classic car" ring.

Then keep the rest of the cars. Hehehe!
fest

modern iron

Post by fest »

I would cash in on the vintage collection
and go with the 456-
the depreciation has got (good ones) down to around $80K

from what I have read
the 456 is an excellent compromise
between practial and kick-ass
(maybe a combination?)

I would rather have one super-nice car
than a bunch of mediocre ones

OK maybe keep ONE vintage one
to tinker with
(like the 250)
but have a reliable modern one to DRIVE
when the vintage one needs work
(like the 250)

PS the Crossfire is a POSEUR
(can you say Prowler?)
AKB
~~~~~~~
400i SI 32635
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Eve23,

I've always wondered what number of cars is too much, and even with my five, I'm having trouble keeping up. Three of them are classics, but even my daily driver and truck occasionally need attention. It's a lot of work keeping up, but I'm trying my best not to sell anything anymore!

The best advice I've heard so far was to rebuild the Vintage V-12 engine, and enjoy the car. Are people sure the 456 will be that reliable?

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
SLM

Post by SLM »

Eddie,
I would just test drive the M3. I never liked BMW at ALL. I am a Ferrari man all the way. But this car met all my needs. And I kept all my old classics.

Mainly the kids can ride in it safely , I can have fun, its reliable ,service is covered , and my wife who doesn't drive stick can drive it. She loves it !

I got the 6 speed SMG transmission ( equivelant to the Ferrari F1 trans). It has a manual mode for me and auto for my wife. And 333hp, 0-60 in 4.7 sec., 170 mph doesn't hurt either.

good luck whatever you decide.

Steve
62 250GTE S/N 3733
eve23

Post by eve23 »

hi guys..
all great responses....i have been through the mill of scenarios...

i see that i am not the only one with this problem....
work/family/cars...not necessarily in that order....; )

ok here it goes....
57 356A,59 220S cabrio,60 AR2000 spyder, 62 3500 vignale spyder,
62 250GTE, 67 400GT,72 246.....

a nice range... some for the family...some for me....some convertibles..

the vignale is going through a 100 pnt resto...the lambo needs work...
all the rest are original cars that run beautifully..except for the 356 which is a 100pnt show winner...but they all just sit in the garage...sometimes for months...especially in winter...NY.....

my wife cannot drive them..... they are all manual....
its time to be selective and cut it down......its not easy to let any go...but it would be nice to pick up something that she could take out to get her nails done and understand what its like to have the bug that we have....

i love the classics but i may be having a reverse midlife crisis....??

rebuilding the engine is a great idea but i don't know if i want to get involved in that...it puts me deeper into what is killing me...
if i'm going to rebuild an engine it would be for a 275, calif spyder, lusso not a GTE....

from what i hear all ferraris have a similar problem like this in some form or another...
ex: the 300sl was too hot to drive,the passenger compartment was like an oven....

eddie
lukek

Post by lukek »

It is easy;

Cars to sell:

-Alfa 2000 Spider. Preety car, but the 2600 version would be more of a keeper
-Porsche 356. Purely personal. I do not care for the styling, nor the sounds. But it is restored, so the alternate would be to sell the 400gt Lambo since it needs work
-62 250 GTE. Even though I have one myself, I agree. Engine rebuild or a full resto do not make sense in today's market, unless you are doing it for the passion of it.

Keepers:

1. Dino. A pretty face is good to have around
2. Maser 3500 Spider. A wonderful and undervalued car. Few made.
3. 220 Cabrio. An elegant, if not terribly sporting car.

In terms of replacements:

For the wife:

Jaguar XKR Convert. Supercharged V8, comfort, decent Ford reliability. Not an engineering masterpiece, but good value used. Kids, when properly folded, can be put into the back seats.

For you:

Maser Coupe, cambiocrosa (you and wife can drive it). Ferrari 456, or the M3 (I drove the SMG and I was quite impressed).

Alternatively, I could give you my 250 GTE which has no engine issues and take the Vignale and Lambo in trade. What the heck, I will even take the little Alfa, but that is IT !!!
:)

luke
Ex 1963 Ferrari 250 GTE, 99 Modena 360, 11 Maserati QPorte S, 08 merc gl550, 67 Cadillac Coupe DeVille Convertible, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, 2006 MV Agusta Brutale S, 1991 Ducati 907i.e.