Dilema-Sell all the classics for a great new one??

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Eddie,

Part of what I love about having several cars in a collection is the variety. Each car has a different flavor and quirk, and I enjoy reaquainting myself with them everytime I drive another car. It's like have several old leather jackets to choose from to wear depending what I'm doing, or how I'm feeling. In my opinion, there is no such thing as one "do all" car.

My wife tolerates my obsession with the cars because she knows, and understands, how much they mean to me, but I've stopped forcing it on her. She has the asthetic appreciation for the cars, and enjoys riding around in them, but driving them? Maybe not. I've found what works for me is to do things mutually enjoyable when we are together so I can get the time to enjoy my cars on my time. That way there is no compromise in what cars I buy, and there is no animosity from my wife when I try to make her do another "car thing."

Anybody else have a method that works?...or doesn't?

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
lukek

Post by lukek »

my wife is quite tolerant when it comes to my hobby, but she does have the right to a veto. She exercised it when I tried to buy an Espada ("A Datsun B210 stepped on by Godzilla")
It was a museum piece, though.....

In the end, as long as you understand, that it was, is, and will be your fault, your relationship will weather the test of time, car hobby, or not. And both of you need a modern car as the driver. I have tried many a time to have a vintage one as the "meets all needs" vehicle, and it never worked.
Ex 1963 Ferrari 250 GTE, 99 Modena 360, 11 Maserati QPorte S, 08 merc gl550, 67 Cadillac Coupe DeVille Convertible, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, 2006 MV Agusta Brutale S, 1991 Ducati 907i.e.
lukek

Post by lukek »

Drats...Now I am all thinking about it, wheels turning...
Look at this ex-Nicholas Cage Espada. Ain't she real perty like?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... AMEWA%3AIT

thx
luke
Ex 1963 Ferrari 250 GTE, 99 Modena 360, 11 Maserati QPorte S, 08 merc gl550, 67 Cadillac Coupe DeVille Convertible, 2008 Ducati Hypermotard S, 2006 MV Agusta Brutale S, 1991 Ducati 907i.e.
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

I unfortunately had to learn the hard way when my obsession for the car hobby predisposed my obligation to my relationship with my former wife. I have remarried to a very understanding person and have realigned my priorities to ensure a lasting marriage. Spending time with your significant other and being able to compromise are now where they belong.....at the top of the list.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
Rudy van Daalen Wetters

Post by Rudy van Daalen Wetters »

Also, if you are not willing to rebuild the motor on the 250, you should let it go since it doesn't sound like you get much enjoyment from it the way it is now. The economics of the car hobby never worked out for me. It's just a game of passion.

Rudy van Daalen Wetters
1963 GTE s/n 4001
lee

Post by lee »

hi

I own a 64' 330 Mk 1, but for more sensible family motoring I have a 98' maserati ghibli 2litre bi-turbo [ 330 bhp ]
an understated looking car which has 2 personalities, can be driven in low gears at nice sedate speeds, but go over 4000rpm and wow!
It's a fair 4 seater ,beautifully finished inside and had a production run of only 500....... so quite individual

Goodluck

Lee
1964 330GT mk1 # 6201 [RHD]
1998 maserati ghibli 2.0 L [RHD]
eve23

Post by eve23 »

all your points are well taken....

tom you are right ...i don't push the issue...
luke ..i came to the exact same conclusion about the cars ....

as for the car suggestions i will check out some of the marques some of you mentioned...even the ones i haven't considered before...

cancelled my trip to monterey today so i won't be tempted.....
i was looking forward to concourso and the pits at laguna on saturday am.

to all of you going, have fun its a great experience ...bring a lot of cash

eddie
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Eddie,

Sorry to hear you won't be going to Monterey. Perhaps we can meet on the right coast in the Fall to see your collection before you dissolve it! ;-)

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
eve23

Post by eve23 »

tom

i'm in midtown during the week....your at the rock right??

i heard that the louis vuitton may come back to ny...
i enjoyed seeing that show every year.....
maybe we'll hook up some time around at a ny event...

maybe you could ask francois his opinion on the best blow-by solution....

have fun in monterey......the list of cars at concourso is amazing.....

eddie
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Eddie,

I work not far from Blackrock, at the Ed Sullivan Theater on Broadway.

Unfortunately, Francois' customers have tried all sorts of remedies to rid the smoking, but there is no easy solution. Sometimes they smoke from sitting, and get better with some driving, but if the engine has 50K miles or more, the smoking will probably not go away without a rebuild.

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
fest

back

Post by fest »

back to the subject at hand:
what to buy, what to buy?

we just bought a 97 318iC-A
(which as it turned out it is now HER car) :(
so now we need one for ME!! :)

I am leaning towards a V12
that I can drive everyday
(as my 400i is rather apart)
and I DO miss that 'song'

turns out, I really like the Germanic Iron
(Expensive maintainance you say?
maybe, but compared with Ferrari?
NOT!!!)
and so it will be
(probably)

1) '97 (or so) S600

2) '97 ish 750iL

3) '90's 850Ci

In Black / Black but of course!

any of these can be had
for abt $25K for a nice low miler-
not bad considering all had an MSRP at $100K+
AKB
~~~~~~~
400i SI 32635
eve23

Post by eve23 »

i envy all you guys heading over to monterey ....have fun....
touch that one off abarth ferrari for me before its sold....

ok....today i went over to audi on park ave and looked at the s4 cabriolet..
i'm in love...340hp...all the bells and whistles and 4 wheel drive....i'm done.

then i went over to mercedes and looked at the clk320 amg55 conv.....i'm done. again....but more cash and no 4 wheel drive.....hmm

i think the amg is a better value and if i buy the car it will be better for resale later on than the standard non-amg cars....

the sl conv is fantastic...(if i go 2 seats i'm going ferrari)

i am going to test drive the cars on saturday and will also head over to bmw and check out the m3 steve....

i am going to sell the GTE, 356, AR 2000 and 400GT....
and keep the 220, 246 and vignale....and i'm sure i'll be searching for something else very soon....

eddie

ps-by the way i was in detroit at the ford test track on business 3 months ago and was in the gt40 and the new mustang.....i really thought i would go after a gt40 but after i sat in it,the red one (i didn't have time for the test drive) i wasn't as impressed....i guess i like luxury...it is a real race car...very raw...you a are practically sitting on the road...

[/b]
jhorton

Post by jhorton »

Might be too hard to go cold turkey-Why not hang onto one of the classics, sell the rest, and buy one fun and reliable car?

I would recommend test driving three modern cars:

The new Audi S4 Cabriolet.

M3 convertible

Z3 Roadster
Mike H

Post by Mike H »

Hmmm, cars and family -Over the years I've been through similar issues, though I've never had more than two classics. I loved my Sunbeam Tiger, and squeezed my kids in the back till the oldest was about four, but then had to get something bigger. It seemed a bright idea at the time to get a '69 Camaro convertible (four seats, 396 big block V8) on which I upgraded suspension and brakes to get a very driveable car. BUT, I fairly quickly came to the conclusion that fast four seater convertibles just don't work -those in the back get blown to bits at anything over fifty mph, and quick cars tend to be not much fun driven slowly. So, I swopped the Camaro for a 1934 Alvis Firefly tourer -only 55 bhp, but such a joy to drive at any speed, and loved by wife and children. Plus. its beautifully made, and has been very reliable with minimal maintenance. When I want to go faster, I have my 1964 Gordon Keeble, of which I have sung the praises on this group in the past. Small block Chevy muscle and reliability combined with one of the prettiest bodies to come from Giugiaro, plus four full seats. It is also a very robust car, and not too difficult to drive -my sons are now 15 and 13, and they are both learning to drive in it at the Under 17 car club ( a UK organisation which provides training for young drivers at private off road venues). I don't think any vintage Ferrari could stand up to several hours of idling and first gear manoeuvring without protest.

I must say that I cannot get very excited by any of the modern fast cars -certainly in the UK, the performance is unusable except at track days, and many of them compromise comfort for everyday use. I might be tempted by a 456GT as a car with a sense of occasion during any type of driving, and I should think the rear seats would serve up to age eight to ten, but they would be no use for my boys. It is a shame that the Maserati Quattroporte is spoiled by a rubbish gearbox and suspension calibration -what were they thinking?

I think you've made a good choice of keepers, and I wish you luck in your search for the ideal car.

Mike
eve23

Post by eve23 »

hi mike h
thanks for the insight...i have been with you on the argument about old vs.new...i love the old cars they make me slow down a little and enjoy life.
thats why i'm keeping the 220...and nothing beats the styling and raw performance

as i look around and see what my options are i am getting more disillusioned and i'm swinging back to arguments why i should keep them all...

this s4 audi is ok ...its probably the best of the bunch w/4 wheel drive..
i just am not excited about the look of it..it looks dated already...

the m3 is the only one i have not yet looked at...
the clk is very nice but the sl is the better buy.
i'm thinking 456, 355....i'm going back to 2 seaters.....

i will be in london the week of the 20th sept...anything going on in the car world i should check out??? any good car restorers or showrooms that have interesting things to see??/

thanks '
eddie