Resto-documentation

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Koll

Resto-documentation

Post by Koll »

Hi Tom,

Your influence must be rubbin off on me. I've been documenting some of the work I'm doing on my car. However, I have one problem...

I take few pictures of the assemblies in their original condition. I suspect I'm embarassed to show the "ghetto fixes" and other disasters I find. I love to show off nice, correct stuff after I'm done, but I was wondering if I'm the ony one that has this condition?

I usually think, "who the would want to see such a POS" and start cleaning nearly right away. I find myself not wanting to break out the camera until I'm done.

I guess a little more discipline is in order. I bet by now, you could nearly update the site in your sleep. Have you developed a system over the years?
giovanni44

Restoration Documentation

Post by giovanni44 »

Hello Koll,
I would not be too concerned with the appearance, condition of your project prior to completion. The primary reason for taking photos, as you go about disassembling the car, is to provide yourself with a reference as to how the car was assembled originally. The side benefit of this endevor is that, should you ever decide to obtain an alternate model Ferrari, you have the documentation to prove, justify, an appropriate selling price in order to obtain your new passion. Another benefit of the photo history, is that when you become disappointed, disillusioned (and you will) with your progress, you can always look back at photos and realize and enjoy the progress you have made. I have restored three cars from the ground up and am presently working on my fourth, a`56 Alfa Romeo Giulietta. Perhaps it is because photography is another of my interests that I don`t mind taking the pictures of my work. Now that I think about it, the photos provide a ready reference when seeking advice or information regarding a certain phase of your endevor.
Hang in there, it will all be worth it in the end

Giovanni
Ruedi

Post by Ruedi »

I agree with Giovanni. You can never take enough pictures. And, as the months and years go by, it's good to review them from time to time and see where the time went and what difference you made. Don't cheat yourself out of that satisfaction.

As for tools, I'm looking at http://www.drupal.org for building a web site about my car restoration.

Ruedi
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Guys,

Although I've been taking pictures of this restoration for over 5 years, I still have to remember to stop before I tear into something to take some "before" pictures. The motivation is that I like to see the transformation from a dirty rusty "POS" to a nice clean part ready for installation. I sometimes have the web and all you guys to thank in doing a good job because if I took a short cut, you'd all be my witnesses, and I know I would never live it down!

Taking all these pictures have saved my butt on several occasions. One in particular when I photgraphed the wires leading into the ignition switch. After I installed the switch, a couple of wires became dislodged. If I didn't have that picture, I would have had to trace each circuit to make sure I didn't cross things up!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053