Gas Tank Baffle / Fuel Sender

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

Deane

Gas Tank Baffle / Fuel Sender

Post by Deane »

I think it's pretty common in older Ferraris to have a tank baffle interfere with the gas sender. Were things always built this way? Did they ever work? Mine only goes to 3/4 full, and I remember the restorer having the tank redone to change the baffle so it wouldn't interfere.
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Deane,

My original sender was confgured a little differently, so I think it would have given an accurate reading, but this one is a little different. I know that with the sender out of the tank, it moves the gauge needle through the full range.

Maybe they needed a lipstick camera to see inside their tank! :-)

Tom
Ade Maritz

Post by Ade Maritz »

Welding around fuel is ALWAYS a nervewracking experience. You probably know this tip, Tom, but I'll post it for the benefit of the folks that don't.
I was doing last-minute tidying-up on a rally car just before a big international event when I spotted a serious fuel leak that had developed in the fuel tank - it had actually cracked along one of the seams. I only had about 2 hours to spare before the car had to be in parc ferme, so a quick (and safe!) solution was needed. A bit of lateral thinking provided the answer. I dropped the tank, poured the fuel out into a 44-gal drum (the fuel filler - quick-release - was inside the trunk, so I could leave that on). Then I propped the tank so that the fuel filler lined up with the exhaust on my road car, and ran the road car for about 15 minutes. After that it was quite safe to weld the tank, since the carbon monoxide exhaust fumes had displaced the explosive fuel-air mixture inside the tank.
I guess I could have drained the tank in situ, and run a hose from the other car's exhaust to achieve the same result in less time, but at that stage I didn't think that far .... :D