Help needed please in shipping from NY to London

Moderators: 330GT, abrent

simonc

Help needed please in shipping from NY to London

Post by simonc »

I have a good friend who has just bought a Boxer engine/transmission in Hobrook (?) NY. What we now need to do is to ship this to the UK. The seller has promised to crate the unit. Anyone know a reliable and good shipper who can help us out herre?

Simon
Simon in the UK

1973 246GT Dino
1976 365 Boxer
1977 400 Auto
Yale

Post by Yale »

It might be too obvious but you could price UPS, DHL and Fed Ex. You will need weight and dimensions. They all have a range of prices depending on how much business you do with them so if you do have a relationship with any of the above you could probably talk to them about moving their price down. Tell them you may be shipping engines every month. Best. Yale
horner

Post by horner »

Simon, Also, call a local London shipper such as Trans-Euro (still in business?) and they will arrange w/ their correspondent shipper in the area where the engine is located and handle it all from the East side of the Pond. That way you are doing business locally, avoid the Trans-Atlantic hassle, and have a 'go to' person on your side. They arrange everything. You are the client of a local company, not a stranger in the Colonies. When I moved to and from the UK Trans-Euro was the UK local shipper, and they handled the importation and re-exportation, customs paperwork, etc., for our Ferrari flawlessly. LJH

PS If time is a lesser concern, I would cost-out shipping by sea container v. air freight.
Jack Horner, 1966 330 GT 2+2 Series II, s/n 8325 (x-1981 Mondial 8, s/n 36213)
davidoloan

Post by davidoloan »

Simon,

I used a company called Atlantic Container Line to import a 40ft container from from Canada to UK within the past month and my experience was good.

Their website is http://www.aclcargo.com

From a quick look at their website they have a facilty in NJ which I think is New Jersey which should be handy for you. They have an office in Liverpool and you can keep all your dealings on the English side.

If you do not have an account with customs & excise they can pay the import vat and import duty on your behalf. They will release the engine to you when they have been paid for the shipping plus the import taxes. You can then claim the import vat back on your next return if you are vat registered. You can't claim the duty back. You will be able to have it picked up customs cleared in Liverpool.

Its important you check with your accountant the import commodity code for the engine to make sure you get the lowest duty rate possible as they vary.

I don't know if they will take a crate rather than a container, but its worth a phone call to find out.

Regards,
David
David,

1992 BMW M5 3.8
1994 Maserati Ghibli
330 America

Post by 330 America »

Guys - another shipper to investigate that I've used 3 times is Kingstown Shipping (UK):

Mark Cowley
Kingstown Shipping Ltd
Ferry Berth
King George Dock
Hull
HU9 5PS

Tel: 011 44 482 374116
Fax: 011 44 482 711997

They shipped a couple Porsches from Europe to Texas for me and I've referred them to others importing grey market cars. They've got lots of US clients and ship anywhere.
Steve Patti
Ferrari 330 Americ (5061) - SOLD
1988 Porsche 944 Rothmans Turbo Cup (ex-Bill Adam)
1988 Porsche 944 Rothmans Turbo Cup (7UP guest car)