another crime committed against the Vintage Ferrari

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... 38052&rd=1

at least it wasn't made into a FAKE
AKB
~~~~~~~
400i SI 32635
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

To me, this car loudly states: pimpmobile.

That said, it looks like it could be easily brought back to stock.

Art S.
1965 330 2+2 series 2 7919
mikemeade

Post by mikemeade »

Those side vents are truly awful. That being said though, I don't seem to mind anything else too much. That interior looks pretty busy, but I wouldn't mind it for a driver. I wonder if it will sell for much less than a truly original car, it could be a really good deal if it did.
Yale

Post by Yale »

All the yellow 4 headlight cars I have seen also have silver side vents. Anyone know if this was 1. always the case with the yellow ones? 2. original? Thanks. Yale
farmerdave

Post by farmerdave »

Forgive my naievete(spelling?), but can you guys point out specifically how this car differes from stock? I do not have a trained eye for noticing minor differences in these cars. I will always be the 1st to laugh at a car with curb feelers, spinner hubcaps, neon lights, and other things that people buy at pep boys and slap onto their cars.

So what's the crime? What makes this a "pimpmobile?" Granted, the interior is unique, but as mikemeade said, it wouldn't be bad for a daily driver. It has a bit of american muscle car feeling about it... but it's not like a previous owner put big fat Mickey Thompson Draglites on the back and a fake hood scoop out front! :lol:

I've always thought that of all the sites out there, this one has the fewest "Auto Snobs." So I'll ask again. Can you point out the garish details that I should have instantly abhored?
tyang

Post by tyang »

Hi Famerdave,

I think most of the guys find the two toned interior, and the contrasting side vents wrong. I believe the dash should be wood grained, and it looks like it was stained red, or painted, but I'm not sure. The description claims this car to be original, but who knows. I can see the center console where the aftermarket radio and speakers are mounted does not match the leather on the transmission tunnel, so something there was replaced.

My tastes are a little more subtle, so this car is not exactly my style, but I'm sure someone out there likes it!

Tom
'63 330 America #5053
330GT

Post by 330GT »

These are the non-standard items I noticed from the pictures:
1. Front overriders and nudge bar.
2. Chromed vents on front fenders.
3. Radio antenna mounted on RF fender.
4. Rear overriders and nudge bar.
5. Something obscured by nudge bar between reflectors and license plate in rear.
6. 330 emblem on trunk.
7. Painted wood dash.
8. 2 toned seats (front and rear).
9. Radio speakers on sides of console.
10. Radio speakers mounted in dog leg panels by rear seats.
11. Carpet over tunnel in rear seat area.
12. Red headliner.
13. Black trim around headliner and on B & C pillars.
14. Black visors.
15. Non-standard console.

BTW, the serial number is 7033.
Regards, Kerry
http://www.330gt.com 330 GT Registry
http://www.parrotbyte.com/kbc/ferrari 250 PF Coupe 1643GT, 330 GT 2+2 8755GT, 308 GTS 23605
jsa330

Post by jsa330 »

Actually, it looks like a decent car. The non-kosher stuff could be corrected pretty easily. That red painted dash is really awful, as is the red headliner. Seats don't bother me; they look to be in good shape. My car had a homemade console when I got it. Solution: I bought a real console and installed it.

It's interesting to watch 330's come up for sale. The 330 2+2 is probably the most generally butchered, abused, and neglected vintage Ferrari model out there.
Current: 1983 308 GTS
R.I.P: 330 2+2 s/n 5409
farmerdave

Post by farmerdave »

Wow, quite good answers... I am pretty impressed with the keen eye you guys have, as those pics aren't of great quality.

I guess that since the "wrong" stuff is so subtle (besides the seats and grille), you'd have to be pretty familiar with the stock configuration to notice.

You guys never fail to disappoint!
Yale

Post by Yale »

Funny thing is that here on Mike Sheehans's site is a 410 Superamerica that orginally had two tone seats, red and beige, (ok, "parchment and burgundy"). So take that all you style mongers. Hah! Yale

http://www.ferraris-online.com/pages/ca ... A-0713[url][/url]
andrew

Post by andrew »

Hi everyone,

I’ve been enjoying all of the comments, suggestions, and advice here for years (not to mention being enthralled with Tom’s consistent adventures and progress), but am happy to shed my lurker status since I may now offer something concrete to the rest of you.

I live in Santa Barbara, where this car is currently for sale. I have a ’66 2+2 and was shocked to see that there are in fact currently two 330GT 2+2s (both 4 headlight) for sale here at the moment, both sitting forlornly on used car lots. I’ve driven the other one (#6343), which was listed on Ebay some time ago, at: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayI ... egory=6212 It is currently for sale for $45,000, which you can see here: http://www.milpasmotors.com/carspage.shtml I have not had the opportunity to drive this one (#7033) yet, but I have had a close look at it and I’m familiar with the seller (although I don’t know if the seller and owner are the same person). It is listed locally for $55,000.

I can offer my insight into #6343 if anyone is interested, and comments about the cosmetics of #7033. Also, if someone wants to pursue it, I can certainly take #7033 for a drive this week and report back to the group.

At any rate, I wanted to offer what I know, in case anyone wants more information. I know, now that I'm no longer lurking, Tom will now encourage me to post some information to the Gallery, which I should have done long ago, and may now be shamed into doing…

Regards,
Andrew
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

Andrew,

Welcome to non-lurker status! I am in the same boat regarding posting my car's story. Hopefully I will get mine to Tom one of these days.

Regarding the two cars, although 7033 looks garish to me, I would like to know about its mechanical condition and how it rides as the cosmetics should be simple fixes. I have a soft spot for interim 330's.

Actually, I would love to read anything you would be willing to share regarding either car.

By the way, which serial number is yours?

Regards,

Art S.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Hi everyone,

I’m happy to report back on the 2 local 330GT 2+2s for sale here in Santa Barbara.

In my assessment:

#6343 is one to avoid. Cosmetically it is almost acceptable, which means that its paint is not bad (though not good), the interior is mostly clean, and there is no obvious damage (nor can I discern any past collision damage). It has a very odd set of racing (?) seat belts that could hold an elephant (6” webbing, NASA-like buckle mechanism). I saw no signs of rust, and this is a very good indicator since it was on a lift when I first viewed the car. Mechanically, however…it started reluctantly and smoked very badly on startup (and thereafter), particularly from the left bank. It did not shift particularly well, even beyond the typical warmup period. It ran roughly and idled poorly. Overall, it handled decently, but was not solid and did not inspire my confidence…it was one of those cars that made me feel very, very good about mine.

#7033, as noted by others, is a pimpmobile but also has some very good points. Cosmetically, you can see the pictures and judge for yourself. To add to others’ comments, I would note that the paint is decent, but has several nicks/touchups and a very noticeable, very worn/rubbed spot on the trunk that manages to be invisible in the pictures. It needs some touchup at best, a repaint if you’re picky. Also, the trunk fit is very poor and there is flaking to the chrome on the knock-offs. It is far from the “mint condition” the ad claims.

The originality of the color scheme, chrome vents, and overriders/nudge bars is still anyone’s guess. What I can add is that this is very likely not the first interior it has had, judging by its condition (which is pretty good), but it may have been redone in the original style, etc. There are no seat belts and the past owner (whom the dealer called in my presence) insists that there never were any in his time with the car, nor could he provide any records for the car (I should note that the dealer stated several different dates about how long the past owner had the car, ranging from 1970s to 1980s…and that, judging by the registration in the glove box, it may have only been as recently as 1997…and it was last registered in 2002 [note: I just checked Kerry's registry, and the 1997 date is confirmed there, as is the most recent owner's name]). I do know that the car came from Santa Maria, CA most recently, and that it did not have any obvious signs of rust, though I wasn't able to inspect the underside of the car.

The dash is odd – it doesn’t look like the wood or wood grain has been painted over. Rather, it appears to have a small amount of texture and almost appears to have been original (although I find it unlikely). It’s a mystery to me, even having inspected it closely.

The car started well (once they put a newly charged battery in it) and seemed to run strongly. Also, I was impressed by the transmission: the car shifted very smoothly, even when cold. The oil pressure was good. The clutch was softer than I’m used to, and the brakes were a tad spongy (but my point of comparison is the only nonoriginal element of my car, an updated Bendix unit). I saw no smoke and none of the obvious danger signs. The A/C ran well and was cold, remarkably. The front end had a noticeable wobble when we were up to speed (well, 80 mph anyway!), and it badly needs an alignment. Without doing the proper tests on the engine, I would call it a capable car and a strong runner.

Overall, it seemed strong mechanically, an odd beast cosmetically, and one of those cars that still made me feel very good about mine (not very, very good, however, as with #6343)…

I hope that people find this helpful. Please let me know if you have other questions or comments.

- Andrew
'64 330 America s/n 5109
Art S.

Post by Art S. »

Andrew,

Thank You very much! That was very helpful.

Regards,

Art S.
Yale

Post by Yale »

Art, are you buying a new (to you) 330? Coming over from the dark side of single headlight ownship having seen the light on the beauty of the quad design? Yale